No announcement yet.

Training to Train

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training to Train

Hey everyone. Can anyone recommend the kind of training and goals I should be aiming for to get my lungs, muscles and bones ready?
    Last edited by Shenker; 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM.

are you training yourself to get ready to head into a boxing gym or to start fighting on your own? seems more like to get ready for the gym. theres a lot of research you can do like watching a butt load of fights and find some reputable instructional vids online for tips. get an idea of proper stance and movement. for some basic conditioning i would start off doing some long distance running 5 miles+ 3x+ a week as well as some HIIT of your choice 2x or so a week. can do sprint/jogging or complexes with an olympic barbell or find a routine that works for you. also you can use the kettle bells for some shoulder condition. dont forget about core workouts: reps reps reps. aside from that you can only get as good as how much you know and how much research you do. the gym will give you a lot more tools and tune you up real well with trainers watching you. you said you were good and avoiding attacks and such but in boxing its a whole different thing atleast in my experience. did shotokan for 5+ years when i was younger and its a different world with the legs. you have to learn to cope with getting punched in the face if you havent already. i think if you can get passed that then you should do really well on the defensive end because your eyes should be sharp from you passed training to see what punches are coming at you. best thing is to just get in the gym. oh and if your bones are healthy you should be fine. unlike muay thai and martial arts it doesnt really require you to condition your bones like shins and your forearms and such because of the gloves. closest thing maybe would be your neck. after getting punched in the head for a few rounds you'll have some bad whiplash if your neck isnt conditioned for it. good luck and keep us posted

Comment

you'll learn more in your first few weeks of sparring and training in the gym than you would training yourself for months. Id recommend using the time before you are able to join a gym to run your ass of and get in the best shape you can so you don't have to waste your first weeks at the gym building your lungs up.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. What kind of conditioning can I do to strengthen my neck?

What categories of training (ex. roadwork, stomach work, heavybag) do boxers generally train on a daily basis, and what percentage of my time should I spend in each one?
        Last edited by Shenker; 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shenker View Post
          Thanks for the tips guys. I do have to work on my lungs, and I guess I should stop smoking weed while I'm at it. I have a long, neck, and it's not as strong as the rest of my body. What kind of conditioning can I do to strengthen my neck?

As of now I'm not interested in learning anymore technique until I hit the gym. I want to focus on conditioning to get my body ready for the real training and taking hits. What categories of training (ex. roadwork, stomach work, heavybag) do boxers generally train on a daily basis, and what percentage of my time should I spend in each one?
          I smoke weed every day and so do a lot of fighters, just don't give up training time for smoking and you should be alright. but then again if your willing to quit for boxing then good for you it can't hurt.

Comment

In terms of neck strength, dont do anything huge, because sparing will usually help out, but if your concerned the best thing you can do is 10-15 minute ab workouts (or more depending on your conditioning idk) and dont let your head down the entire time, on average the human head weighs 20lb's so if you hold it up long enough your neck will get strong wether you like it or not lol.

Don't start trying to worry about shadow boxing, footwork, anything even the basics, because until you have someone watching you boxing is the type of sport were it is very easy to get into BAD habits, when i spar beginners i have to try really hard not to get cocky because i like to drop a hand and fight like a lightweight against beginners for kicks, do to much and it becomes a habit.

What you can do is condition your sholders,core and your lungs so when you show up your good to go

Comment

Thanks a lot. So shoulders, core, and lungs should be my points of focus... If I work my way up to running 5 km a day, do 10-15 minute ab workout, and a 10-20 minute shoulder routine, would that be enough?

Comment

ya, just a little something so that when you start training your not busy puking when you can be getting better lol If your shoulders are strong you can punch longer and you wont drop your hands. good core, well everything goes from your core and good lungs are a necessity, strong legs are also extremely important so try and get some leg workouts in there to

Comment

Originally posted by Shenker
                  I was thinking of investing in a vaporizer (or making one). That way I can smoke without weakening my lungs.

but yeah
                  The mental effects of weed will probably be more detrimental to your boxing training than the effect on your lungs. Just stop with that **** altogether if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
                    The mental effects of weed will probably be more detrimental to your boxing training than the effect on your lungs. Just stop with that **** altogether if you can.
                    **** are you talking about

Comment

Working...
                    X