No announcement yet.

Eddie Alvarez: "They're Only Important Names Because They Fight In The UFC"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Alvarez: "They're Only Important Names Because They Fight In The UFC"

"You're just mentioning names. And they're only important names why? Because they fight for the UFC. Or else they'd be nobodies. The UFC does a great job of pushing them, and they're popular. It doesn't mean they're talented. It just means they're known... I guarantee that if you put them in a tournament structure like Bellator, they're not going to win it every time. Gray Maynard? Kenny Florian? All these guys, they're UFC fighters, that's all. They're pushed by the UFC, but when they leave the UFC, they're forgotten. When's the last time you heard Josh Neer's name? You haven't. When's the last time you heard about Roger Huerta? You haven't. They're no ones anymore. What were they two years ago? They were superstars."

Full Source: http://www.bjpenn.com
    Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-01-2011, 07:12 PM.

Valid statement.

Comment

Deinitely a valid statement. Alavarez is arguably the best LW in the world. He'd easily be top 5 in the UFC. He wrestling is world class and so is his boxing. His juijitsu's up there as well. He could cause Edgar and Pettis some major problems.

Hector Lombards in that dicussion as well. Hits like a freight train and his judo is world class not to mention he uses it well.

I wish we could see them both in the UFC someday.

Comment

Being in the UFC certainly helps their popularity, but regardless of where they fought, I'd consider Maynard and Edgar to be up there with Alvarez and Melendez. The latter two deserve more credit/praise than they get, but I don't think that GM and FE deserve less.

Also, Huerta was mostly popular because he is so exciting to watch, not because he was ever considered the best fighter.

Comment

It's crazy to me at 155.

I mean really... You can take almost all of the top ten guys in the division, match 'em up in any way and I couldn't pick a clear favorite. Exception with Aoki and Florian... Those guys don't win against the best at 155.

Comment

I met Eddie Alvarez a few years back,very smart kid really has his sht together,and i also believe he is the 1 lightweight in the world,thing is i never see him with the ufc Bellator and others pay him more money than the ufc will ever offer.

Comment

Half right and half wrong.

I'm tired of hearing that zuffa promo bull**** haters want to speak. Fact is, very few fighters outside of the UFC are legit title chasers anywhere. Now that Zuffa snatched Strikeforce, that window dwindled even further. Jon Fitch would be a champion if he fought anywhere besides the UFC, real talk.

Only guys I can name off the top that are legit and aren't in the ufc(or newly aquired and soon to be merged Strikeforce ref. WEC):

Eddie Alvarez
              Mousasi
              Buff ass MW cuban from BFC (edit- Hector Lombard)
              Shinya Aoki (take him lightly if you want to and get your **** broken)
              Imanari (breaks dudes **** off before they can tap ask Mike Brown)

That's it. King Mo is out there, but I don't see him as a legit challenger. Great guy, cool guy but no. Tokoro is a beast but no. Can't name anyone else from top of the dome.

And yes, Shinya is legit as fuck ask Eddie Alvarez.
              Last edited by F l i c k e r; 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Aoki is hit or miss. If he can get ahole of you on the ground it's over unless your name is BJ Penn. But if you got decent power and can touch his chin before he grabs you then more then likely it's lights out.

I'm so pumped for my man Jacare finally gonna be schoolin' these middleweights in the UFC!

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                  Aoki is hit or miss. If he can get ahole of you on the ground it's over unless your name is BJ Penn. But if you got decent power and can touch his chin before he grabs you then more then likely it's lights out.

I'm so pumped for my man Jacare finally gonna be schoolin' these middleweights in the UFC!

True. I won't argue that.

I agree with Jacare too. I've been wanting to see him fight the ufc mws. Zuffa probably won't merge them quickly but believe that it will be merged just like the WEC was. Once the WEC started to be more exciting than the UFC, they merged it.

Comment

Man I miss prime BJ Penn, if somebody can get BJ to take cardio and fight prep seriously maybe we can see the old prodigy again.

Comment

Working...
                    X