No announcement yet.

weight lifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight lifting

How important is it to weight lift in the sport of boxing, because i am pretty strong physically and i lift weights. But when i do start boxing i want to know how much of my weight training will pay off. or is it just all stamina and skill?

Weight training for boxing would be different than your traditional weight-lifting program, but I find when done properly it does really help. Basically, just remember that you're trying to build power as opposed to strength. I think you mentioned you're a wrestler? I'd imagine that you're pretty strong then. Wrestling is one of the few sports where pure strength is as important as people think. So the problem with being a wrestler and boxer is that you might not think so, but they require to very different atheltic types. Weightlifting for wrestling is quite different than boxing. So as far as a weightlifting program to go with, you'd have to chose between boxing and wrestling I'd say.

Peace,
    Trick

Comment

thanks for that info, it was helpful.

Comment

I dont see anything wrong with it. Its your choice if you wanna bulk up or just get tone. Esp for people who are over weight like me, you can burn the same if not more cal. lifting than running. Both together works well. If your gunna lift just be sure and lift correctly, don't box the right way youll end up hurtin something..same goes for lifting to.

Comment

I hope I don't sound like a dick, but PLEASE use the search function. This topic has been beaten to death on these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
            I hope I don't sound like a dick, but PLEASE use the search function. This topic has been beaten to death on these boards.
            what topic has not?

its not like we dont hav the "newbie needs help" threads every week.

this section hasnt been real interesting in a year ore two

Comment

Originally posted by IronNick View Post
              How important is it to weight lift in the sport of boxing, because i am pretty strong physically and i lift weights. But when i do start boxing i want to know how much of my weight training will pay off. or is it just all stamina and skill?

The limits of your firepower are defined by your jeans. There is nothing you can do to increase it. If it was possible to turn a feather-fist into a puncher, Chris Byrd would have knocked out Wladimir Klitschko. Having said that, few men ever reach their full potential. It is not as easy as it looks to deliver a full power punch. Once you learn how people will think you are a powerful puncher.

Comment

Power=Mass x Velocity squared. Weight training is good, if done right for the sport (as has already been mentioned). However, speed (velocity) adds way more to your punch than your size does. That's why guys who fight Mayweather all say he packs a punch. Speed.

Comment

Working...
                X