Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Focus Mitts - No More Ultimate Classics..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus Mitts - No More Ultimate Classics..

I'm trying to get some new mitts. All the reviews I've read said Ultimate Classic Panther Punch Mitts. I checked Ringsides site and they must be discontinued.

I also heard some good things about Rival and Ringside Panther Punch Mitts. If I'm going to spend the money I wanna get something I'm going to like.. Can't afford Winnings so those are out.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by bailie View Post
    I'm trying to get some new mitts. All the reviews I've read said Ultimate Classic Panther Punch Mitts. I checked Ringsides site and they must be discontinued.

I also heard some good things about Rival and Ringside Panther Punch Mitts. If I'm going to spend the money I wanna get something I'm going to like.. Can't afford Winnings so those are out.

Any suggestions?
    I like Ringside's "Economy" punch mitts. Not sure if they still sell them or not. Ringside's Panther's are pretty good too. Whatever you do, don't buy anyhting Everlast or Title (at least in my opinion), more so stay away from Everlast at all costs. Also stay away from Grant's mitts as their punch mitts look flashy and good but are really just 1/4 pound of cardboard wrapped in cheap colorful "leather" (and they arrive looking like they got sat on by an elephant). They should realistically be priced at $25 maximum.

I'm not sure about Rival, but I'd look into them more. I've heard good things.

Comment

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Ringside Panther mitts since they are a bit cheaper, but keep reading good things about Rival as well. I have a pair of Fighting mitts, but they a bit too curved for my taste and bulky (and loud as F.. sound like a beast hitting them).

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
        I like Ringside's "Economy" punch mitts. Not sure if they still sell them or not. Ringside's Panther's are pretty good too. Whatever you do, don't buy anyhting Everlast or Title (at least in my opinion), more so stay away from Everlast at all costs. Also stay away from Grant's mitts as their punch mitts look flashy and good but are really just 1/4 pound of cardboard wrapped in cheap colorful "leather" (and they arrive looking like they got sat on by an elephant). They should realistically be priced at $25 maximum.

I'm not sure about Rival, but I'd look into them more. I've heard good things.
        Agree. I have a pair of Grant mitts. They look nice, but they feel like a wooden plank wrapped in cardboard. I thought it was just a matter of breaking them in, but so far that hasn't been the case. They don't bother me when I'm catching, but my training partner has been complaining lately about elbow and shoulder pain when he catches for me. It's gotten to the point where he'll occasionally pull away from my punches in anticipation of the pain, so I have to pull my punches.

Gymrat - my training partner has been considering getting gel or air mitts. have you had any experience with these type of mitts?

ballie - If you can, post a review of the mitts you plan on purchasing.

The pair I own:

Here's a review from ratethisgear, basically describing the same stiffness in the padding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF1g-Gj56AQ

Comment

For sure. I'm thinking I might just order the Ringside Panther Mitts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
            Gymrat - my training partner has been considering getting gel or air mitts. have you had any experience with these type of mitts?
            The only mitts I've owned that I can vouch for are the Ringside Economy mitts and the Ringside Panther mitts. All the others I've had sucked. The best thing your partner might want to do is wear handwraps while he's holding the mitts, but I would endorse your idea of definitely getting a different set of mitts. Everything that Grant makes (except for their Professional series of gloves) is half-assed, 5x overpriced trash that they try to get away with selling by borrowing some of the praise to their name that they get from their Professional gloves. For example I bought a Ringside neck strengthener for $9 and then a Grant one for $35. The Grant one was the exact same as the Ringside, and both were just as crappy.

Comment

I use Everlast Pro Mantis Mitts. Had them for two years, they've taken a lot of punishment and are still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
                The only mitts I've owned that I can vouch for are the Ringside Economy mitts and the Ringside Panther mitts. All the others I've had sucked. The best thing your partner might want to do is wear handwraps while he's holding the mitts, but I would endorse your idea of definitely getting a different set of mitts. Everything that Grant makes (except for their Professional series of gloves) is half-assed, 5x overpriced trash that they try to get away with selling by borrowing some of the praise to their name that they get from their Professional gloves. For example I bought a Ringside neck strengthener for $9 and then a Grant one for $35. The Grant one was the exact same as the Ringside, and both were just as crappy.
                Originally posted by vercingetorix3 View Post
                I use Everlast Pro Mantis Mitts. Had them for two years, they've taken a lot of punishment and are still going strong.
                Thanks for the advice. Ill be sure to pass along the info.

Comment

I own a few different sets of panther mitts.

I hate the Ringside ones cause they are bulky to me (So I tend to go a little slower when using these mitts), and there is no way to tighten them (They have an elastic that supposedly always stays tight and if you have someone else use them that has bigger hands then you it stretches the elastic to there size). But I do not get arm or shoulder pain when using them (it has a ball on the inside that cushions alot of the shock).

Everlast Panther mitts I like cause they are a smaller panther mitt. Has a strap I can tighten to my hearts content. But I tend to get arm and shoulder pains when using them. I also tend to break the straps on these cause I will tighten them to much but, It is usually after 6 or more months of using them with people. It also has a plastic clip that I worry about breaking on the leather strap for tightening but I have never had one break on me.
                  Last edited by Athorn4940; 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to steer clear of bulky mitt. I already have the Fighting mitts and they are overly curved and bulky for my taste. I'm trying to get something a bit more simple, but protective.

Comment

Working...
                    X