Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breathing, more valuable than running in Combat Sports?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I was agreeing with you.

It's not blind hate. When you sarcasticaly called me an expert as if I were some chump on the corner it did piss me off, so I decided to find out just what you've done to speak to me that way.

I was just telling you that your boys progress would be stunted having him work with somebody else more than you. And I still firmly believe that.

Oh, the papers said my name plenty of times w/photos and the television showed my image fighting on numerous occasions, world wide even, fights at the Palace, blah blah blah.

Keep doing your thing, you do work the pads well. And that's not a knock on you but a compliment..........Rockin'
    OMG your crazy man. He is not my athlete. Norway asked me to help his coach and him twice a week. read the post man.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I am the best in the world in terms of versatility on the mitts. However I see you are purposely ignoring the videos that have footwork drills and bag drills. But I get that a lot because I don't want to give away the pasta sauce so I just post focus mitt drills. No stress my students know what's up

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
      OMG your crazy man. He is not my athlete. Norway asked me to help his coach and him twice a week. read the post man.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I am the best in the world in terms of versatility on the mitts. However I see you are purposely ignoring the videos that have footwork drills and bag drills. But I get that a lot because I don't want to give away the pasta sauce so I just post focus mitt drills. No stress my students know what's up
      I know what you mean about the sauce.

I was just bustin' your balls man after your comment. It looks like you do good for your students and it's obvious that you have a passion for the sport. keep it up...........Rockin'

Comment

so it's fair to say that the speed bag also helped them win?
        i got a bit of work to do some im not going to be able to fully explain it right now, but essentially if you dont know why your doing something chances are its not going to be as usefull as it would be if you know why.

in boxing there is a block called a glance off, its a deflection block that highly resembles the back hand punch in the speed bag pattern, most the boxers from 1900- 1950's used the speed bag to improve the quickness and solidity of this block.

in jack dempseys book from 1950 it goes into this in to detail.

another use of the speed bag was for headhunting and accuracy, do a bit of the normal pattern and finish off with a power punche, then some more pattern and another power punch.

what i find most people now a days use the speed bag for is shoulder conditioning and working the hook as its difficult to do well on a heavy bag.

if you use the speed bag for all of the above, it can be an incredibly useful tool.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          that makes sense as you seem to be unable to grasp how it improves a boxers ability to breath.

john l sullivan, walked 14 miles a day, some times hed run 1-2 miles.

rocky marciano, 6 miles a day working up to 20 miles before fights.

jim jeffries 14 miles a day at 7 mph

bob fitzsimmons 8-16 miles a day composed of running sprinting jogging and walking.

muhhamad ali 6-7 miles a day

joe calhagze 5 miles a day

floyd mayweather 3-8 miles a day

aside from the jeffries vs johnson fight ive never herd of an instance where any of these guys gassing in the ring.

and even in the jeffries instance, they guy lost 40 lbs in like 2 months and was still able to go 13 rounds with a near prime jack johnson.

long disntace running might be pointless if your doing 20+ rounds a day in the gym, but it sure did seem to help all the guys mentioned above.

a basic understanding of how anerobic threshold is entierly reliant on your aerobic capacity would probly shed some light on the importance of long distance running.

here think about this,

when training you dont do 4 min rounds because you subconsiouly pace yourself for 4 mins, so when you have to do 3 min rounds you actually trained at a slower pace then you should have.

studies have been done that show that amature boxers, reguardless if they are doing 3 min rounds or 2 min rounds , have extremly high lvls of lactate in their system at th end of each round.

so what this tells me is that boxers sub consiously pace them selfs per round in relation to their lactate threahold.

now given this information, one can surmise that by improving lactate threshold you directly improve the pace you can maintain in the ring.

as long distance running directly improves aerobic capacity, long distance running directly improves the pace you are able to maintain in the ring.

now that is why long distance running is good.

but why is long distance running better then the other 5000 exercises hat improves aerobic capacity????/?/?/

because it is the only one that gives you a chance to improve breathing under a steady pace with a steady rythm while your body is under physical stress.
          You did not read the blog. You couldn't have.

"So run, run, run my friend and study the art of breathing and you will never get tired again no matter what you’re doing. Actually that’s wrong. You will get tired but only you will know."

Yes you can learn how to breathe while your running. What the blog is doing because everyone is not Floyd Mayweather, Jim Jeffries, or Joe Calzaghe is giving a person that is having difficulty learning this how to breathe 1st, we call that a base. If you can do that without running and master it....Then you'll be that much a better relaxed runner and fighter

holy crap. reading understanding and METHOD OF TEACHING. I hated trainers that just told me what to do but never taught me how to do it. Everyone knows what to do...who can teach it. The blog is teaching it

Comment

You did not read the blog. You couldn't have.

"So run, run, run my friend and study the art of breathing and you will never get tired again no matter what you’re doing. Actually that’s wrong. You will get tired but only you will know."

Yes you can learn how to breathe while your running. What the blog is doing because everyone is not Floyd Mayweather, Jim Jeffries, or Joe Calzaghe is giving a person that is having difficulty learning this how to breathe 1st, we call that a base. If you can do that without running and master it....Then you'll be that much a better relaxed runner and fighter

holy crap. reading understanding and METHOD OF TEACHING. I hated trainers that just told me what to do but never taught me how to do it. Everyone knows what to do...who can teach it. The blog is teaching it
            busy, ill get back to you in about 1.5 hours. also by then i should have time to post up the quote about the speed bag from dempseys book.

Comment

"because it is the only one that gives you a chance to improve breathing under a steady pace with a steady rythm while your body is under physical stress."

I love criterions...

ok what if a guy does it your way but he is constantly making muscles or has poor technique on his punches in the ring and waste energy

Amir Khan runs everyday but in the fight like a euro amateur he is literally on his toes, which is a workout within the workout. He's tired by the 8-9th rounds. not because he does not run but because he has bad boxing technique..
              Rules are what keeps people from growing. Most trainers teach 1 left hook... there are 6 ways you can throw a hook. I dont agree with all these rules because boxing dont work that way

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" Its not dancing with the stars its boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                busy, ill get back to you in about 1.5 hours. also by then i should have time to post up the quote about the speed bag from dempseys book.
                i have jack's book. i love jack. i love all my mentors. while i have them in me, i also have my own system and that's the reason why i continue to grow. There is no 1 way to do anything in boxing.

Jack fought different than floyd-oscar-jhonson-marciano-pep and guess what they were all great champs. so its great to read watch fights but you take a part notthis is the only way...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  I know what you mean about the sauce.

I was just bustin' your balls man after your comment. It looks like you do good for your students and it's obvious that you have a passion for the sport. keep it up...........Rockin'
                  Thanks champ

Comment

so im finished work and im no where near as bored as i was so i dont really feel like argueing with you any more today, i might have some more to say tomorrow night at work though.

so i leave this thread for today with a quote oftenly incorrectly attributed to bruce lee:

absorb everything and discard what you dont need.

and the real quote from bruce lee

absorb everything and discard what you dont need, but only once you understand why you dont need it.

Comment

Working...
                    X