No announcement yet.

what do u think about when sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do u think about when sparring?

Since I'm pretty new here let me give u some info about my background. I'm 22, 5'9 & 154 #'s. I've been trainning for only 8 months & loving it.

I go to my local gym 3 times a week. I also attend a boxing program @ my school; mostly for conditioning & extra sparring.

The class has a handfull of fat kid; which is cool with me, at least their trying. And a handful of punks thinking their "hard".

Today @ school we were doing very light sparring, jabs only & I was just trying to throw them off ass much as I could.

I was looking at mid torso and tagging the punks right in the face. I guess cause I was looking closer to their gut they thought I was going to him em there.

I would look down snap @ the head, and then throw a nice one back down to the gut.

This worked on almost everyone I tried it on. Now I know these guy haven't been boxing 4 more than a month, but f*#k it, some of these guys think their Billy Badass or something.

Since I've been watching everyone in class I knew if they were sluggers, aggresors, or trying to really box.

I usually just try to counter the power punches to make them realise that their gonna pay every time they let lose.

But what do u guys think about?

Hey now, your doing pretty good you discovered a sort of feinting on your own, with the tricking your opponent to think your going to throw where you want him to think.

Don't regret having to box the fellas that are worse than you, I used to feel this way too. As if they were just a waste of time, but then started to incorporate rounds with the less experienced boxers focusing predominantly on a specific goal: fighting on the ropes, new defensive styles, and my newest quest of turning southpaw mid-round.

For the longest time it seemed I would just counter-punch them all day and make them look foolish, but now I discovered for myself how to use the "lesser" sparring partners as a great tool.
    Not to mention helping them out by giving them more ring time.

So during sparring I just think of the task at hand, whether it be: counter, body work, defense, dancing, jabbing, punches in bunches, or sometimes just to survive!

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
      Since I'm pretty new here let me give u some info about my background. I'm 22, 5'9 & 154 #'s. I've been trainning for only 8 months & loving it.

I go to my local gym 3 times a week. I also attend a boxing program @ my school; mostly for conditioning & extra sparring.

The class has a handfull of fat kid; which is cool with me, at least their trying. And a handful of punks thinking their "hard".

Today @ school we were doing very light sparring, jabs only & I was just trying to throw them off ass much as I could.

I was looking at mid torso and tagging the punks right in the face. I guess cause I was looking closer to their gut they thought I was going to him em there.

I would look down snap @ the head, and then throw a nice one back down to the gut.

This worked on almost everyone I tried it on. Now I know these guy haven't been boxing 4 more than a month, but f*#k it, some of these guys think their Billy Badass or something.

Since I've been watching everyone in class I knew if they were sluggers, aggresors, or trying to really box.

I usually just try to counter the power punches to make them realise that their gonna pay every time they let lose.

But what do u guys think about?
      When I spar, I am usually thinking about moving around, and knocking down their punches, and countering with fast jabs to the face, and hard right hooks to the body. Whenever I'm sparring, I really work on my defense, and my footwork. I don't throw too many hard punches, But I do slip in the occasional power punch. I mostly go for quick jabs, and just watching the torso of my parter and looking for cracks in their defense.

Comment

x

The best thing in the world is when you are sparring and you arnt even thinking about it. When you hit that groove where its all just automatic and you can beat the guy and your thinking about the dinner your gonna eat afterwards or something like that. Thats what I like to think about when I fight when I have to actually think to be able to score against the guy then its not quite so much fun.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I like to know what other fellow boxers are thinking because maybe i don't think about some issues as much. For instance, I think i should work on my defense very much. Is not like i get hit often , but still i would rather my opponent miss and throw them off balance.

How do u feel emotionally. I think i have a problem because i have no emotion while sparring, im just in there chilling. Is this weird?

A trainer told me i should fight with some anger and aggression, but its still kinda weird for me.

Will fighting with anger help me fight better? I was always told that emotion distracts u from thinking clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
            Thanks for the replies. I like to know what other fellow boxers are thinking because maybe i don't think about some issues as much. For instance, I think i should work on my defense very much. Is not like i get hit often , but still i would rather my opponent miss and throw them off balance.

How do u feel emotionally. I think i have a problem because i have no emotion while sparring, im just in there chilling. Is this weird?

A trainer told me i should fight with some anger and aggression, but its still kinda weird for me.

Will fighting with anger help me fight better? I was always told that emotion distracts u from thinking clearly.

anger is bad in the ring dude, u'll take shots you wouldn't have otherwise because all u're thinkin about is layin a hurtin on the other guy. u should be cool and calm in the ring, i love fighting and sparring, it's fun

Comment

Emotionless is the way to go, although sometimes I can't help but crack a little smile when I'm having a good day in the ring.

Comment

I think hit not get hit.

Comment

Yeah, never fight with emotion. When you fight with anger, the boxing match may turn into an all out fist fight, and your mind goes blank of fundamentals, and that's when you get beat. If you're angry, you will just start throwing wild punches, and leave yourself wide open. The best thing is to go into a fight focused and ready to fight, not pissed off. You can be hyped, but not mad, never go into a fight mad.

Comment

About your trainer, i don't think he meant "anger" as in "rage" but as in some more aggression. Maybe he thinks instead of just countering (not a bad thing) you SHOUlD be a little more "agressive" but not in the rage way.

For example, as soon as you see an opportunity for attack, especially time for power shots, you take it without hesitation. Remember that ONLY countering can posibly be a disadvantage against some experienced boxer (they could faint, wait for you to block or slip a coutner, then counter you counterpunch).

Anger is always bad, but aggression is necessary at higher levels of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X