No announcement yet.

Really Become Amateur Fighter??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Become Amateur Fighter??

Ok so I’ve been training for about 6 weeks now and I’m so hooked! I’ve been a huge boxing fan but recently decided to actually box. Now I just turned 28 a couple weeks ago I’m in good shape (obviously not the shape I need to be in quite yet) and a natural athlete. I’ve picked things up very quickly but of course have a loooooong way to go. My trainer told me, and I already knew, that I’m too old to really make a career out of boxing. However, he said I have the potential to do some amateur fights. Do you agree that’s possible with starting boxing at 27/28? Also, if I really want to get to amateur fights what route do I take? Right now I just work with my trainer for 1 hr per week and pay him $40 a session. I also train some on my own and exercise on my own.

Any recommendations on how to really get into a regimen to become an amateur fighter? I only got into boxing for exercise but I’ve caught on very quick and feel I have potential. Did plan to even look into actually fighting until now, help! I’m in Baltimore, MD if that matters.

1 hour per week? No man, JOIN A GYM!!!

You need at least 6 months training, 5-6 days a week in a gym with a trainer and sparring like 2 times per week. With the money you spend on individual sessions, you can join a gym.

Why? Because that's what the other kids you will be facing are doing. Don't go out there to get hurt, this is not the sport for that. It could take you less than 6 months if you are an exceptional talent and really fast learner, but 1 hr a week with a trainer? No way man, your going to get seriously hurt.

Comment

Well I mean we do train at a boxing gym. Just to clarify, by simply joing a boxing gym that wont necessarily provide you with a dedicated trainer as well correct?

Comment

Originally posted by vv15629 View Post
        Well I mean we do train at a boxing gym. Just to clarify, by simply joing a boxing gym that wont necessarily provide you with a dedicated trainer as well correct?
        At my gym and at good boxing gyms it will. If you come to my gym and I see you have talent, I will work with you everyday. We also have a strength and conditioning coach and excellent sparring for all ages and weights.

I train over 25 amateurs, been doing that for 10 years now. I'm also a licensed pro trainer. You need the right people in your corner man, you don't want to get hurt. I can't tell you how many times I have seen kids that have poor, unqualified trainers in their corner pushing kids out there to get hurt.

I just had my 128lber make his debut last weekend in Ft Lauderdale and he fought some kid that had 5 fights, was 18 years old (1 yr older) and had more experience. We won via first round KO. The kid was poorly trained.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          1 hour per week? No man, JOIN A GYM!!!

You need at least 6 months training, 5-6 days a week in a gym with a trainer and sparring like 2 times per week. With the money you spend on individual sessions, you can join a gym.

Why? Because that's what the other kids you will be facing are doing. Don't go out there to get hurt, this is not the sport for that. It could take you less than 6 months if you are an exceptional talent and really fast learner, but 1 hr a week with a trainer? No way man, your going to get seriously hurt.
          Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          At my gym and at good boxing gyms it will. If you come to my gym and I see you have talent, I will work with you everyday. We also have a strength and conditioning coach and excellent sparring for all ages and weights.

I train over 25 amateurs, been doing that for 10 years now. I'm also a licensed pro trainer. You need the right people in your corner man, you don't want to get hurt. I can't tell you how many times I have seen kids that have poor, unqualified trainers in their corner pushing kids out there to get hurt.

I just had my 128lber make his debut last weekend in Ft Lauderdale and he fought some kid that had 5 fights, was 18 years old (1 yr older) and had more experience. We won via first round KO. The kid was poorly trained.
          Good answers.

OP, if it's for you it's for you, but don't ask us how much you should dedicate yourself, you should have answered that for yourself already or you aren't ready. You feel you have potential? I would love to hop into the ring with you with your once a week sessions behind you and help you find out.

Find a good trainer and a good gym, they are many gyms without good trainers but rarely decent gyms without 1 good trainer. Like I told some other guy in this forum, listen to your trainer and trust him with your life, build that bond because it's critical, do what he says to a T and only listen, humility will get you far, confidence will get you floored, as a novice.

Comment

Yeah I hear you. I really love boxing and have the desire to become a lot better, your right though i need to suround my self witht he right tools (people).

Comment

Just to let you know, the kid I told you about, he's been with me for 1 year. He was training at a previous gym and he told me flat out, that they didn't show him ****.

He didn't know how to parry a jab when he got to me. Training 1 year and didn't know how to parry a jab! This is what we deal with everyday in this sport, internet trainers, video trainers, people that think they know what they are doing are are going to just get kids hurt.

I know your not young, but if you want to fight, you need to dedicate yourself and fast.

Comment

Why is being 28 a bad thing? How's that not young?

Comment

40 dollars a week for 1 hour session i laugh at your stupidity, theres no way you'd ever be ready for a bout. Most boxing clubs charge 2 pound a session or a 5er a week. Go to a boxing gym and learn the same way everyone else does. Most people at 28 have had many bouts by then and i doubt they'd let you fight a juniour who is transitioning to a senior because he'd be about 16/17. If this guy is charging you 40 dollars a week how much do you think he'll rob from you for your medical and license

Comment

Originally posted by vv15629 View Post
                    Ok so I’ve been training for about 6 weeks now and I’m so hooked! I’ve been a huge boxing fan but recently decided to actually box. Now I just turned 28 a couple weeks ago I’m in good shape (obviously not the shape I need to be in quite yet) and a natural athlete. I’ve picked things up very quickly but of course have a loooooong way to go. My trainer told me, and I already knew, that I’m too old to really make a career out of boxing. However, he said I have the potential to do some amateur fights. Do you agree that’s possible with starting boxing at 27/28? Also, if I really want to get to amateur fights what route do I take? Right now I just work with my trainer for 1 hr per week and pay him $40 a session. I also train some on my own and exercise on my own.

Any recommendations on how to really get into a regimen to become an amateur fighter? I only got into boxing for exercise but I’ve caught on very quick and feel I have potential. Did plan to even look into actually fighting until now, help! I’m in Baltimore, MD if that matters.
                    sSo you trained now 6 hours for the last month and a half?

28 is not too old to compete. you have to train twice a day though, 2 hrs in the mornign and in the evening, if you want to fight in near future

Comment

Working...
                    X