Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very controversial stoppages/decisions that you agreed with?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very controversial stoppages/decisions that you agreed with?

I put 'very' in the title as it seems that every close fight is considered controversial these days.

For me it would be Cotto-Corley, which the majority of people felt was stopped too soon.

The HBO commentary team described it as 'disgraceful' and 'a hometown stoppage'. I personally had no problem with it. Corley was under pressure and took a knee, then got up and dodged a couple of Cotto's punches before taking another knee without even being hit.

IMO if a boxer takes a knee twice in one round, especially without even taking a punch, then the ref is right to call it off.

The only judges' decision that comes to mind is MAB-Morales 2. That doesn't really count as I've never scored it round by round, but my general impression was that Barrera did a good job of nullifying EM's offense by controlling range well and outboxed him for most of the fight. From what I've seen elsewhere, it seems that a large number of people regard this as a bad decision.

PED use aside, Mosley-De La Hoya 2.

I originally thought DLH won. I watched it again and saw no problem with the decision.

Apparently, neither did most of the writers at ringside. They polled 28 boxing writers and only 8 thought DLH won.

Of course they didn't have the amazingly accurate and meaningful system known as Compubox, nor the wonderfully neutral commentary by HBO.

Comment

Ali - Norton 3. Pretty contro, but I gave it to Ali. He pulled it out at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
        Ali - Norton 3. Pretty contro, but I gave it to Ali. He pulled it out at the end.
        I gave it to Ali, as well.

Every time I've watched the Leonard-Hagler fight, I've given the decision to Leonard.

Comment

the big controversial ones this year, pwill beating martinez(by like one round), froch beating dirrell(one round), and guzman drawing with funeka. for the first half of the fight i think you could count the power punches funeka threw on one hand. same for dirrell. it's hard for a judge to give you a round when you only threw jabs.

oh, and taylor-chavez. even if steele had known there was less than 10 seconds left. it could've been 9 seconds, all chavez needed was 1 second to do real damage to taylor. we've seen how he talks today

lyle and ali. i agree lyle didn't look hurt AFTER the fight. but the ref wasn't in lyle's shoes. all he saw was a man getting hit flush, hands down, not defending himself. what was he supposed to do?

Comment

mcauley vs blanco I, is a decision i agreed with

a stoppage would be chavez taylor I

Comment

Floyd Mayweather vs Jose Luis Castillo I

Pretty close fight, but not a robbery and I fought Mayweather won last time I watched it.

Comment

Originally posted by !Belive! View Post
                Floyd Mayweather vs Jose Luis Castillo I

Pretty close fight, but not a robbery and I fought Mayweather won last time I watched it.
                Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
                  I gave it to Ali, as well.

Every time I've watched the Leonard-Hagler fight, I've given the decision to Leonard.
                  i agree with you, i can never see a case for Hagler or Norton

Comment

I thought Holmes beat Tim Witherspoon by two points but my friends and debate the win sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X