No announcement yet.

Niggling pain in wrists when punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niggling pain in wrists when punching

I'm assuming this must be my technique, but when i hit the bags or do padwork I have to go pretty easy now because nearly every punch I throw (aside from uppercuts) I can feel a niggling pain in my wrists (its a bit worse on the left hand). When doing padwork the pain is excruciating at times. The problem is I can't see any problems with my technique other than perhaps not getting my knuckles round quite fully when throwing hooks. The pain also reaches the bones in my forearms as well.

I see other people hitting bags with such force I dread to think of the pain I'd feel if I did the same which is pretty disheartening. My coach told me to work on strengthening my wrists and forearms with stress balls and other equipment and I'm gonna get longer handwraps, but I doubt that will make a big difference. I only train 3 or so times a week so I'm not overworking them or anything. Is it possible I just have naturally brittle wrists? If I continue this way could I damage my hands permanently?

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

What wraps and gloves do you use?

Brand/Model/Size (ounces)

Comment

I use 3.5m Lonsdale wraps and 12oz Lonsdale SafeSpar gloves -

http://www.lonsdaleboxing.co.uk/stor...dshow/L4B.html

The reason I use those is because they have extra padding so I figured they would cushion my punches more. I've been using them for about 2.5 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by -drebin- View Post
        I use 3.5m Lonsdale wraps and 12oz Lonsdale SafeSpar gloves -

http://www.lonsdaleboxing.co.uk/stor...dshow/L4B.html

The reason I use those is because they have extra padding so I figured they would cushion my punches more. I've been using them for about 2.5 years now.
        Yous gots weak wrists and you take them way to far.

the instance you feel any pain in your wrist you should stop punching things for the day and shadow box or do calisthenics, over time your wrists will become stronger but if you keep f**king them up to where you can barely throw at pads they will never get better.

Comment

I have halved my time spent on bags and doubled my time shadow boxing recently, but would you suggest just no bag work for a few months to let my wrists heal and to strengthen them instead?

Comment

Yes you should stop punching things until your wrists are completely healed.

How's the wrist support on those gloves? Lonsdale is definitely one of the good brands of boxing equipment, but some have bad wrist support, like Title's World Gel Bag gloves, and Ringside Safety Training Gloves.

Most people use 180 inch mexican style elastic handwraps, around 4.5 meters.

Also, you can try applying athletic/adhesive tape around your wrists, then use handwraps as you normally would. If you want, add tape again, AFTER wrapping.

Comment

I don't know what the wrist support is like compared to other gloves as I haven't used many others but it seems reasonable.

I've been looking to get the mexican 180" wraps for a while but they are a rarity here in the UK and if I can find them they are normally at a premium but I guess it's worth the price.

For example, these are actually a very good price but does it have to state they are 'mexican style' for them to actually be mexican style? - http://www.boxingcorner.co.uk/produc...79bd27fdfa3483

These are much more expensive and of a similar length - http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/clet...and-wraps.html
              are these technically any different from the first kind?

Could you possibly give me a link to some athletic tape? It seems like it could be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by -drebin- View Post
                I have halved my time spent on bags and doubled my time shadow boxing recently, but would you suggest just no bag work for a few months to let my wrists heal and to strengthen them instead?
                if you cant even go alittle bit with out pain i would take off from the bag a while. once they start to feel better get back on the bag but just make sure that if you feel even a little pain stop and do something else for the day even if you havnt even done a round yet and your feeling pain id stop.

Comment

As others have said, take some time off the bag, and then ease back into it.

Many people overlook hand/wrist training, ha and as someone with naturally pretty weak wrists I can kind of see why. It's a pain, but it is important. A good start is just starting to do your pushups on your knuckles. Especially if you do them on a firm surface, it helps to toughen up your fist/forearms. Don't be in a hurry to crank out 50 on the pavement though, work your way up- remember you're doing these things to slowly build up the toughness in your hands.

The fact that padwork is really painful though is pretty odd. If after 2 weeks the pain is still there I think that's something you'll need to see a doctor about.

Comment

HaHA! I have already seen the great thing!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X