Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put these fighters in order of punching power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put these fighters in order of punching power?

Shane Mosley
    Tony Zale
    Bennie Briscoe
    Buddy Baer
    John Mugabi

Originally posted by TheGoldenEra View Post
    Shane Mosley
    Tony Zale
    Bennie Briscoe
    Buddy Baer
    John Mugabi
    1. Buddy baer
    2. tony Zale
    3. shane mosely
    4. bennie briscoe
    5. john mugabi

Comment

Shane Mosley
      Tony Zale
      Bennie Briscoe
      Buddy Baer
      John Mugabi
      Mugubi
      Mosley
      Briscoe
      Baer
      Zale

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Robert View Post
        1. Buddy baer
        2. tony Zale
        3. shane mosely
        4. bennie briscoe
        5. john mugabi
        Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        Mugubi
        Mosley
        Briscoe
        Baer
        Zale
        Briscoe wasn't actually that much of a puncher. He was a classic pressure fighter. Mugabi had nothing but punching power. That is the only thing that won him fights. If he couldn't land he couldn't win.

Tony Zale was a very hard puncher however. He was a tiny MW and most of his KO's were early on. Huge puncher and amazing fighter.

I think we forget that it is as much about landing a punch and not taking one that still makes a great puncher. People think of them as no skilled brawlers, but it takes a true skill of it's own just as a purely defensive counter puncher does. If you're blessed with reflexes like a cat, you become a counter puncher, if you're blessed with a punch like The Hulk then you become a puncher. Each has their own skill and their skill is highly developed to that specific trait.

A counter puncher couldn't become a power puncher, and a power puncher couldn't become a counter puncher.

The very rare few who could do both have quickly gone on to become the greatest of all time. Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran, Henry Armstrong (some might think of him as only a swarmer but he was a great counter puncher inside), Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard, Sam Langford........They could all do both exceptionally well, although each also had their particular skill too.

Buddy is very similar to Mugabi. He knocked out everyone but never did it to some good. He got beaten by most great guys he faced and knocked out all the ****e along with a few very good guys.

It's hard to say to say with those types. I consider them harder punchers than the rest simply because the rest could rely on other skills they had to win, where as they couldn't. They had to land the big one and most often did!

Mosley is a good puncher that could also rely on his speed to win when needed. He wasn't a great puncher but he certainly had enough pop that if landed enough on some with no defense they would go.

Hard to say really. Too many variables as with everything in boxing.

Who is the better defensive fighter? The one who goes into the eye of the storm and rarely gets hit or the one who sits back and waits out of range for mistakes, counter punching and not getting hit that way? Very different things and yet we'd look at one of the as being great defensively and the other as maybe just ok or nothing at all. even though if the roles were reversed the other one would do better in said role.
        Last edited by BennyST; 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
          The very rare few who could do both have quickly gone on to become the greatest of all time. Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran, Henry Armstrong (some might think of him as only a swarmer but he was a great counter puncher inside), Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard, Sam Langford........They could all do both exceptionally well, although each also had their particular skill too.
          id also put the likes of dempsey and fitzsimmons on that list.

Comment

Shane Mosley
            Tony Zale
            Bennie Briscoe
            Buddy Baer
            John Mugabi
            i think that with this list you have fighters that are very much alike in their punching power,i think that this list can be put in any order and still keep the fan in agreement,

Comment

Originally posted by MeccaOfBoxing View Post
              Shane Mosley
              Tony Zale
              Bennie Briscoe
              Buddy Baer
              John Mugabi
              I will presume you mean actual weight, not P4P, I'll make my ratings accordingly. .............. .,,,,,,,,, Number 1. - Buddy Baer - over 6"5'. .. Number 2. - Tony ZALE, .Number 3. - Bennie Briscoe (maybe even at 2). Number 4. - John Mugabe, Number 5. S.S.Mosley

Comment

Working...
              X