No announcement yet.

Converted Southpaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted Southpaws

How would Oscar and Cotto turn out had they fight out of the stance they're supposed to fight out of?

Both guys are known for having strong jabs and left hooks along with underdeveloped right hands, which, according to conventional wisdom, is what you'd expect from a back-the-front fighter. They've both been successful fighting the way they do, however it's difficult to predict whether they'd be better, worse, or the same had they fought their entire careers out of a southpaw stance. They're both fairly conventional, straight-up boxer-punchers, so I don't see that either of them would be especially awkward southpaws.

I can't imagine that either would be markedly better fighters as career southpaws, as much of their success was built on their very strong lead hands, but they were probably both talented enough to succeed to a somewhat similar degree either way.

Comment

Mike Tyson was a converted soutpaw I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I mentioned that a few months ago, I'm sure I seen it on a documentry but, couldn't find anything to back it up.

It was because Cus didn't like training southpaws I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I'm pretty sure that's not right. I remember seeing it in a doc as well, but im almost certain its not true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
            I'm pretty sure that's not right. I remember seeing it in a doc as well, but im almost certain its not true.
            There isn't any conclusive evidence that I know of.

But alot of people claim he is naturally left handed.

In one of his early fights the commentator talked about how he is a converted soutpaw but I can't for the life of me remember who he was fighting.

I'm not sure, to be honest. People claim it and he hits harder with his left hand IMO, but I guess until he comes out and confirms it we won't know.

Comment

Yeah I mean from things i have heard, its that it isn't true. He has openly said his right is his best punch and from different footage i've seen he uses his right hand

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                Yeah I mean from things i have heard, its that it isn't true. He has openly said his right is his best punch and from different footage i've seen he uses his right hand
                You are correct: Tyson DID say his right was his best punch and from watching his fights I agree with him. People think of his left as the KO punch but the truth is most of the time it was just the punch that finished off a guy who's lights were already put out by the right.

Poet

Comment

Mike Tyson was stupid famous. We should be able to find some footage of him signing an autograph, so we can figure out which hand is his dominant.

Comment

He shook my hand with his right, but then do all leftys do that? Ok i just wanted peeps to know i shook the hand that ruined my fighters hopes and dreams lol

I Know he said his right was his best and he's probably right but he could easily KO a man with either hand and often went southpaw in a fight tho usually very briefly. I thought he was a natural lefty, donty know where i heard it but i definatley did

Comment

Working...
                    X