Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Impressive Bernard Hopkins or Wilfred Benitez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Impressive Bernard Hopkins or Wilfred Benitez?

The youngest and the oldest champions in history. Wilfred Benitez at 17 and Hopkins at 46. Which do you find to be more impressive and why?

For that one fight, do you mean?

I admit freely Benitez was long one of my favourites during his time, but I can't see why he wouldn't be favoured, here. Due respect to Hopkins, but beating someone like Cervantes, over fifteen rounds, at age seventeen tops defeating Pascal when you're forty-six.

Each fine achievements, doubtless.

Comment

Originally posted by cja07007 View Post
      The youngest and the oldest champions in history. Wilfred Benitez at 17 and Hopkins at 46. Which do you find to be more impressive and why?
      when i was 17, id probably say being the youngest champion was most impressive

but every day i get closer to 46 (and i've got a ways to go thank the lord,) i grow to appreciate more what hopkins does

being even a relevant journeyman boxer who can go rounds at 46 is remarkable
      nevermind win world titles against young prime fighters

any old man will tell you
      hopkins
      hopkins
      Last edited by New England; 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: autocorrect

Comment

Benitez.

Beating Cervantes at 17 years of age?

Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          For that one fight, do you mean?

I admit freely Benitez was long one of my favourites during his time, but I can't see why he wouldn't be favoured, here. Due respect to Hopkins, but beating someone like Cervantes, over fifteen rounds, at age seventeen tops defeating Pascal when you're forty-six.

Each fine achievements, doubtless.

lol no love for an old dog like hopkins?

i'm gonna be glad if everything's still working when i'm 46
          and i'm no pro boxer lol i talk on the phone and drive on the highway for a living

putting yourself in that position after all those fights and all those years is the greater accomplishment in my eyes, even if the fight itself is less impressive.
          Last edited by New England; 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            when i was 17, id probably say being the youngest champion was most impressive

but every day i get closer to 46 (and i've got a ways to go thank the lord,) i grow to appreciate more what hopkins does

being even a relevant journey boxer who can go rounds at 46 is remarkable
            nevermind win world titles against young prime fighters

any old man will tell you
            hopkins
            hopkins
            Sadly enough, my forties are in my rear-view mirror, & growing ever-distant.

Even so, I just cannot fathom another 17-year-old in all of Boxing history besting Cervantes. It's got to be the better choice.

Comment

Even so, I just cannot fathom another 17-year-old in all of Boxing history besting Cervantes. It's got to be the better choice.
              I'm definitely with WBY on this onel.

Comment

agreed on the win 100%
                benitez had to go through a hall of famer at 17
                hopkins fought....pascal...

pascal's a blown up MW without much going for him. he had hard fights with diacanu. he's got knockout power and a solid chin and otherwise he was a horrible world champion.
                we can probably credit his huge canadian following for him being able to make so much noise

there are, however, more young champions than very old ones
                boxing is a young mans game. once you hit your prime (i'm talking about physically only for this one point,) being younger and having less milage is an advantage.
                if a kid comes up in the right fighting tradition, and he matures quickly, he can make noise early
                it's more rare for a fighter to remain at the top past not only his 35th and 40th birthdays, but in hopkins case his 45th

Comment

Originally posted by cja07007 View Post
                  I beg to differ...B-hop winning the Light Heavyweight title at age 46 is way more impressive!

Comment

I have great respect and admiration for all that Hopkins has done but beating an ATG like Cervantes at 17 carries more clout than beating a second tier lightheavy like Pascal.

Comment

Working...
                    X