No announcement yet.

Will Gennady Golovkin go down as a MW great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Gennady Golovkin go down as a MW great

I think he needs that big career defining fight (Canelo) or a change in weight, though I know that's unlikely.

He's fighting In a good era but he need's to take on the elite fighters of his time.

What do you guys think?

I think so, he's certainly not been fighting in a great Middleweight era but then neither did Monzon, Hagler or Hopkins. Dominant champions rarely fight in great eras for their division.

Comment

Good enough for being a dominant guy but his career isn't over.
      If he can beat whats left at 160 then he will be the main champ of his era.
      As far as talent he has very good punching skills and seems to have the desire to win. His defense is predicated on his offense but there's been many successful fighters who have done the same.
      I like the guy because he makes no bones about wanting to eliminate his opponent so there's no "judges" involved in the outcome. I personally like that type of fighter. He is willing to take some abuse to give some and his abuse has more consequences than his opponents.
      Hagler did the same thing except he wasn't a one punch guy he wore his opponents down. LaMotta did the same thing with pressure and volume instead of power.
      Power throughout the history is a rare commodity!!
      Ray

Comment

No he's not.

Wait, now he is!

Comment

Yes he will even with resume

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post

No he's not.

Wait, now he is!
            Golovkin would stand an even better chance if nobody alive had ever seen him fight and the only evidence for his greatness was heavily biased newspaper reports of his fights.

Comment

His resume sucks too much to be an all-time great. But his career isn't over yet.

Comment

It's possible but not likely. Accepting the Ward fight would have went a long way in this argument.

Comment

Not yet of course, but I am hoping for him. He has to get the right fights and win the right way. It is that simple for any champ. So far he has had a reign of illusion. He is not savvy enough as a promoter of his own career to make the big things happen. He relies on constant KOs to do it for him, and they almost do, but it takes even more that he was apparently unable to learn. He does not know how to create demand.

Despite his many KOs he does not seem at all menacing like young Hearns, but impish. My hope is running low that he will ever learn enough, now that he is nearly old. We will see what he can make happen after the cancer victim, if he can get by him.

Comment

Well, if all the other top middleweights agree to fight him, he'll have the opportunity to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X