speed AND power - help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed AND power - help

Hey guys

Well basically im a young beginner but a fast learning boxer at just 16 years of age. Im only 5 ft 4 and im 8 st 4. im known for my speed and agility in the ring - hardly suprisingly due to my stature. and i tend to beat my opponents with my quick and witty dodging whilst wearing them down slowly with my quick (but not that powerful) punches, aswell as my vast stamina.

technique is not an issue, speed is def not an issue, neither is stamina or dodging... but i have no power!! im unbeaten so far and im praised as a good fighter but ive took time out of fighting to train to improve and develop my attributes (power in particular)

Obviously the key to power is weight really as well as how you go about your punch. But i need a programme that will improve weight and power but will NOT slow me down - losing my signature attribute; speed.

can anyone help ??

thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by kenny91; 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM.

do plenty of fast, deep push ups to develop more explosiveness, work on your form and learn how to sit down on your punches (ask trainer) how many fights you had? it is useful to have a decent punch but definitly dont risk your speed just so you can bang

Comment

Learn proper punching mechanics, don't worry too much about physical strength. It's not something that you will pick up from watching a video on YouTube or from someone showing you once... you need to practice practice practice with a trainer who knows how to train.

Comment

Legs and core bro.....start training your legs hard at least once a week. Training your legs hard is a good starting point for developing all around power. Once you get a good base to work with you should start to incorporate cleans, stiff arm dead lift and hand snatch for explosive power.....I did not begin to develop serious strength until I began to do these....trust me it will work....it doesnt matter what you weigh....or what your sport may be...

However; at 16 i would advise to hold off on doing this, since your body is still developing, it is possible you will end up doing more harm than good....it would be wise to wait until you are at least 18....
        Last edited by Detroit101; 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM. Reason: forgot you are 16

Comment

Thanks Detroit

I guess for now i'll just carry on with what i've already got on that note i spose.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny91 View Post
            Thanks Detroit

I guess for now i'll just carry on with what i've already got on that note i spose.
            no prob man....you could probably stick with body weight exercises and high rep stuff that will keep your tendons pliable and able to stretch and grow with your body....you just want to stay away from heavy training....

Comment

Working...
            X