No announcement yet.

Stamina

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamina

If i did 3 extra hard rounds on the bag and 3 extra rounds of fast skipping would this increase my stamina any?

If its a one off probably not, but if its something you do regulary then you will gradually build up your stamina. I never found skipping really helped me with the stamina but the alot of others did so it must work.

Comment

I find that doing "sprints" on the skipping rope has helped my stamina, particularly when it comes to throwing flurries, which are a foundation of my style but always tire me out.

I'll skip a couple of rounds at a medium pace just to warm up, then I'll do a few rounds alternating 15-20 seconds at a medium pace with 15-20 second "sprints" of double-unders, running with high knees, and skip-squats. (If you've never jumped rope in a squat, you need to try it. It kills your legs, FAST.) The 15-20 seconds is just a guideline; I don't actually measure it, I just go until I'm too tired to clear the rope, then go back to regular skipping. I've found that my "sprints" are getting longer each time, and my flurries, too. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey great tip there. I'm going to give that a shot tonight.

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
        I find that doing "sprints" on the skipping rope has helped my stamina, particularly when it comes to throwing flurries, which are a foundation of my style but always tire me out.

I'll skip a couple of rounds at a medium pace just to warm up, then I'll do a few rounds alternating 15-20 seconds at a medium pace with 15-20 second "sprints" of double-unders, running with high knees, and skip-squats. (If you've never jumped rope in a squat, you need to try it. It kills your legs, FAST.) The 15-20 seconds is just a guideline; I don't actually measure it, I just go until I'm too tired to clear the rope, then go back to regular skipping. I've found that my "sprints" are getting longer each time, and my flurries, too. Hope this helps.

Comment

I need to invest in a jump rope.

I stayed at the gym longer today to do some extra bag work. I felt really good. I think I might make it a habit.

Comment

O ya, gotta have that jump rope. Honestly, I suck at it, anything other than the traditional two footed jump (which looks fine), I look absolutely ******ed. But whatever it is about skipping, it really helps you get light on your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
              O ya, gotta have that jump rope. Honestly, I suck at it, anything other than the traditional two footed jump (which looks fine), I look absolutely ******ed. But whatever it is about skipping, it really helps you get light on your feet.
              I looked like a total moron for the first couple of months that I skipped rope. Do anything every day for a year and you'll get good at it, I promise. Ditto for the speed bag; and nothing says BOXER like those two things. I love being at my weightlifting gym and cranking out a couple of sets on the jumprope, crossing over, doubling under, running in place, skipping backwards. Similarly, there's a unique thrill to walking into a sporting goods store, seeing that they put a speed bag up for demonstration, and then rolling up your sleeves and owning that sucker for a solid minute or so. People gather around. It makes you feel cool.

Comment

I'm moving house soon, a month or so. The house im in at the minute doesnt even have a ****ing garage but im moving into a bigger house with a massive garage, im intending to buy a heavy bag and speed bag. It also means il have somewhere to skip other than my front garden cause i hate looking like a prat. Looking forward to it, i might end up having a wee smallish gym in my garage lol. Thats if my dad allows me to use the space, we have numerous cars and motorbikes, but im sure he wont mind!! ****in sure he will!! lol

Comment

Ya I really should be putting more effort into the rope, if there's anything I slack on, it's the rope. Unless my trainer's lookin' right at me, I'm slackin' it a little. Also, the gym is pretty packed, and there's nothing more embarassing than tying yourself up in rope as you attempt to cross-over, haha

Comment

I cant cross over, been trying for a few weeks now and stil havent got a clue

Comment

Working...
                    X