No announcement yet.

Slipping vs blocking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping vs blocking

In a match, when should you slip punches and when should you block? Is it better to just block them instead?

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
    In a match, when should you slip punches and when should you block? Is it better to just block them instead?
    Never been in a boxing ring but I have been in a couple of fights as a kid.

I fought this very slick guy, seen him fight many times so we all knew he was a ghost. He started it off with a hard punch on me, instantly I retaliated firing as hard as I could at a sure target. He ducked and I felt instant pain in my arm for missing so hard. The fight went on like that until I had to wrestle him to the floor to gain some sort of advantage.

Another guy I fought, this time I was counter punching while he was missing wildly. He tired mentally or physically within a few minutes but we were kids like 13 years old, not trained fighters.

I would say it's better to just slip punches all night long, give nothing for the opponent to hit or use as moral boost for the next punch.

Comment

cant say im an expert havent had my first fight yet but spar every week just about. The drills we do on mitts we parry the jabs and counter with our right, and slip their rights and come back with a left hook (assuming both orthodox)

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
        Theres a time for both. When trying to get inside I think slipping is better, and when moving out its generally preferred for me to block.

ie slip a jab to get inside to hit them in the body a couple times, then roll out or you can just jump back out with your hands up to block an retaliating straight punches, etc.

In amateur boxing I think slipping punches is better as the judges then won't have the opportunity to confuse the punches you blocked as landed punches, but once again they are both situational.

Comment

You learn to block first. Then you learn slipping techniques. All for the ability to counter, you counter quicker off the slips than you do blocks! Being first is always a huge part of winning.

ray

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
            Theres a time for both. When trying to get inside I think slipping is better, and when moving out its generally preferred for me to block.

ie slip a jab to get inside to hit them in the body a couple times, then roll out or you can just jump back out with your hands up to block an retaliating straight punches, etc.

In amateur boxing I think slipping punches is better as the judges then won't have the opportunity to confuse the punches you blocked as landed punches, but once again they are both situational.
            Agreed... slip them, more visually appealing

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              You learn to block first. Then you learn slipping techniques. All for the ability to counter, you counter quicker off the slips than you do blocks! Being first is always a huge part of winning.

ray
              Agreed, slipping more skill and means you can setup counter easier

Comment

"quicker off the slips than you do blocks"!

Being quicker is the key, nothing is "easier".
                If your slipping on a shot and letting your counter go as your moving then that counter is moving "quicker" than a block & throw!
                The key is making the slip very small so your not out of position to throw! To many slips today are only a defensive move, far to big of a motion.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  "quicker off the slips than you do blocks"!

Being quicker is the key, nothing is "easier".
                  If your slipping on a shot and letting your counter go as your moving then that counter is moving "quicker" than a block & throw!
                  The key is making the slip very small so your not out of position to throw! To many slips today are only a defensive move, far to big of a motion.

Ray
                  Keep schooling them Ray!

Comment

Working...
                  X