No announcement yet.

How to lead with the left hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lead with the left hook

you see a lot of highly skilled and athletically gifted fighters skip the jab and lead with the left hook. I was just wondering how did Roy Jones get away with leading with the left hook for 15 years without getting caught? How did Floyd do the same thing? A little help here people....

floyd and jones have very long arms, i don't think boxers with an average reach can get away with that.

Comment

Not to mention the left hook is Jones' best punch, I'm sure hes spent a
      great deal of time developing it and working with it.

Comment

Theyre both a couple of speed demons to. I think some of it had to do with their hand position to, but Im not sure.

Comment

the fighters that utilize a lead hook are few and far between........me boy Teddy Atlas always rips on the guys that try to lead with a hook, especially if they dont established the jab.....

Comment

you step out to the left so you can get power off your left foot. any questions? class dismissed.

Comment

after a jab step in crouched with your hands up (focus on keeping at least the right up )and distribute the weight to the left hand just by weaving left to distribute more weight for the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidayin View Post
                floyd and jones have very long arms, i don't think boxers with an average reach can get away with that.
                eh...not really.

Ricky Hatton has munchkin arms and that is one of his best punches, see his fight with Tzu...

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                  eh...not really.

Ricky Hatton has munchkin arms and that is one of his best punches, see his fight with Tzu...
                  I wouldn't use Hatton as a good example of the leading left hook really.

His jumping left hooks are more of a kamikazi punch than anything, i'm sure that's half the reason he looks like he's been hit by a bus. But then we all know that Hatton's idea of defence is blocking punches with his face.

Don't get me wrong when used correctly they work really well, you can get a lot more power behind a left hook, but the aren't as sensible a tactic as the jab. I think they are best used directly after a jab.

Left jab, left hook, right cross, left hook.
                  Something like that.

Comment

fair enough. He is not the best example of how to throw the left, my point was saying that you dont have to have freakishly long arms to be successful at it and his midget arms are a good example of my point.

Whatever you would call his lead left hook or whatever kamikazi, it does work for him...

Comment

Working...
                    X