Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good chin has to be devoloped or naturally given to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good chin has to be devoloped or naturally given to you?

I heard differnt views but when a person starts fighting young and is used to taking punches on the faced and jaw they devolop a chin and get used to getting hit, a boxer has a better chin then your average person, but do you think having a great chin is a gift or does it come from taking punches in training and getting adjusted to it at an early age?

Roy jones never got hit clean and was never used to getting hit on the chin and when he did he got knocked out like a ragdoll I believe cause his chin was never tested or used to getting hit.

Originally posted by hectari
    I heard differnt views but when a person starts fighting young and is used to taking punches on the faced and jaw they devolop a chin and get used to getting hit, a boxer has a better chin then your average person, but do you think having a great chin is a gift or does it come from taking punches in training and getting adjusted to it at an early age?

Roy jones never got hit clean and was never used to getting hit on the chin and when he did he got knocked out like a ragdoll I believe cause his chin was never tested or used to getting hit.
    roy jones was hit clean a bunch of times in his career

youc ant devlope a chin because it has nothign to dow ith the chin

its how your brain react to the punches
    i know my trainer gives us an excercise where it helps us prepare for getting hits
    and to be able to box with shaky dizzy legs

but if you are hti and your brain shuts off(lose contiousness) its nothign you can do

people like mayaorga and gatti take hits because they can see the hits
    they have no defense so they are more willing to trade and take hits instead of bob and weave

when you can see the hits your brain can prepare its body for impact and thus you take the hit better than if you didnt see the punch comming

its liek being in a car and you know yoru about to crash you hit the brakes
    but if you dont see the crash comming you wind up more damaged than if you braced yourself

so yes you can prepare to take a punch but you cant train youself to have a chin

it has nothing to do with the chin its all about the way the brain reacts
    and how the person was punched

the first time roy got hit he was hit flush on his chin that wasnt tucked and was fully exposed
    he took the full impact and his brain was moved from side to side

in the johnson fight he got hit in the temple and also took much damage and shots through out the whole fight
    so sooner or later the tree was going to fall

Comment

Originally posted by boxer2k5
      roy jones was hit clean a bunch of times in his career

youc ant devlope a chin because it has nothign to dow ith the chin

its how your brain react to the punches
      i know my trainer gives us an excercise where it helps us prepare for getting hits
      and to be able to box with shaky dizzy legs

but if you are hti and your brain shuts off(lose contiousness) its nothign you can do

people like mayaorga and gatti take hits because they can see the hits
      they have no defense so they are more willing to trade and take hits instead of bob and weave

when you can see the hits your brain can prepare its body for impact and thus you take the hit better than if you didnt see the punch comming

its liek being in a car and you know yoru about to crash you hit the brakes
      but if you dont see the crash comming you wind up more damaged than if you braced yourself

so yes you can prepare to take a punch but you cant train youself to have a chin

it has nothing to do with the chin its all about the way the brain reacts
      and how the person was punched

the first time roy got hit he was hit flush on his chin that wasnt tucked and was fully exposed
      he took the full impact and his brain was moved from side to side

in the johnson fight he got hit in the temple and also took much damage and shots through out the whole fight
      so sooner or later the tree was going to fall

Damn! thanks man. That is true about the punch you cant see coming hurts more, but how come fighters can get up from such brutal knock downs like larry holmes when shavers landed that punch, or juan manuel marquez vs pacman?

Comment

Originally posted by hectari
        Damn! thanks man. That is true about the punch you cant see coming hurts more, but how come fighters can get up from such brutal knock downs like larry holmes when shavers landed that punch, or juan manuel marquez vs pacman?
        Sheer will.

Comment

It's a natural think but you can work on it by devolping a strong neck like tyson, holyfield.

Comment

also, when mayorga takes shots, he keeps his chin tucked in, that has alot to do with it.

Comment

Its a combination of things will power, neck strengh, and some guys just take shots better because of bone structure. If u dont see a punch coming it does seem to hurt alot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydmayweather
                Its a combination of things will power, neck strengh, and some guys just take shots better because of bone structure. If u dont see a punch coming it does seem to hurt alot more.
                I agree Floyd, but believe the ability to take a good punch is "mostly" biological. Some fella's are just born that way for whatever physical reason, whether it be bone structure, jaw thickness, neck muscle structure, nerve insulation or various combinations of all the above. Bottom line, some fighters take better punches than others.

I always felt if we could have a fighter with Tysons ferocity, Holmes left jab, Shavers right hand, Ali's footwork, PBF's dazling hand speed, Morrisons left hook and Tex Cobbs chin, well . . . you get the idea (-;

Comment

Boxing would be a pretty boring sport..

Comment

LOL, that's a good comment by Jack. It's fun to think about "Ultimate Boxer" type guys, but if a guy was indestructible and could knock out anyone with 1 punch, his fights would be INSANELY boring. You can only see so many 5 second fights before it gets boring, and if a guy had Cobb's chin, Ali's speed, Shaver's Punch, and Tyson's aggression, then every fight would be over in 10 seconds at the most.

Comment

Working...
                    X