No announcement yet.

How to fight vs Counter puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fight vs Counter puncher

GOT my ass whooped in sparring tonight as I just couldn't deal with a damn counter puncher. Now, i'm a bit of a counter puncher myself but this guy wouldn't throw ANYTHING until I unloaded, so I thought to hell with it, I made the first move on most occasions, which resulted in me getting counter punched everytime! It was hard to get a reaction from the guy until I threw first, he was quick to, so it didn't go down to well on my behalf. Im guessing pressing, covering up, throwing in volumes, is the way to do it? But this really isn't my style as I like to counter myself! Thoughts?

Did you try to mix in some feinting?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
      Did you try to mix in some feinting?
      I didn't do an awful lot of feinting admittedly! I think I was to predictable but being the aggressor is not my game. It was basically counter puncher vs counter puncher so I initiated the attacks which was out of my own comfort zone as i'm use to countering often myself! Im guessing to triple the jab, get in close, pressure him, close the gap to throw him off next time.

Comment

I have ran into the same trouble when fighting other counterpunchers. You need to fake, fake try and get a reaction, and then go from there. So if you fake the jab and he slips to the outside, fake it again and throw the left hook, which he will move into. Stuff like that.

Easier said than done i know.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
          I have ran into the same trouble when fighting other counterpunchers. You need to fake, fake try and get a reaction, and then go from there. So if you fake the jab and he slips to the outside, fake it again and throw the left hook, which he will move into. Stuff like that.

Easier said than done i know.
          Yeah I guess vs counterpunchers, the only way is to get a reaction in order for you counter that! I'm going to practise on a couple of fakes to try sunday. The thing is with counterpunchers they are always comfortable at distance, it's more predictable for them. I almost sound like i'm talking about my own weaknesses here, as fighting in close is not my game so fighting in close isn't going to help me out to much here logically thinking!

Comment

feints are the key. do not be predictable because hes looking for patterns in your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
              I didn't do an awful lot of feinting admittedly! I think I was to predictable but being the aggressor is not my game. It was basically counter puncher vs counter puncher so I initiated the attacks which was out of my own comfort zone as i'm use to countering often myself! Im guessing to triple the jab, get in close, pressure him, close the gap to throw him off next time.
              Wouldn't pressuring him play against you, as you said you're a counter puncher yourself.

Did you try working off of his counters? Being a counter puncher you should have an idea of what punches he's going to counter you with.

Sucker him in. Kinda like feinting but actually commit to the punch. Example, throw a lazy or hard jab on purpose and anticipate his right hand counter and what you're going to do once he throws his counter.

Make a list of counters he's hitting you with and while you're shadowboxing or hitting the bag, work on what you plan on doing after he commits.

Comment

make it rough.

Comment

Another thing is sometimes if the other counterpuncher is longer and faster than you, and either more skilled or evenly skilled, you have to go onto the front foot and fight them. Because if they have the reach, speed and skill advantage or even the same skills as you, there is little chance outboxing them. So go onto the front foot, let your hands go, push in close, rough them up, do whatever dirty tricks you can get away with.

Comment

God I can't wait to spar again lol. offtopic i know, but i haven't been in the ring since my last fight two weeks ago. Injured my right pinky finger, and just last night i ripped my big toenail off. So all ive been doing is hitting the bag with my left hand and shadowboxing

Comment

Working...
                    X