Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali vs Stevenson 1976

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That straight up style of the Cuban would be easy meat for prime Ali. Very hard to hit prime Ali with a right hand and that’s all Stevenson had. Plus Stevenson was an AMATEUR. NO amateur is doing well with prime Ali. One sided thrashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
      I believe Cubans would’ve been vastly more successful in the pro rings if they hadn’t fallen for temptations. It’s such a huge step coming from Cuba to the ‘glamorous’ US. Suddenly, all and everything is possible for you to achieve – if you have the money. If it will make you happier is another question …

Leaving the topic, found this interesting in The Ring magazine: a story about the Ali vs. Spinks rematch in which sports columnist Mike Marley, at the time a Las Vegas Sun reporter, is quoted:
      “[Before the fight] Greg Page, Tony Tubbs and Michael Dokes were his [Ali’s] sparring partners. He would just rope-a-dope and let them pound on him. I don’t think that did him any good.”

That brain surely had to sustain a lot.
      yeah its true. They suddenly go from just above impoverished to King's Buffet.

Comment

What if Ali and Teofilo had clashed in '76, amateur rules, three rounds.
        What would've been Ali's strategy?
        Rope-a-dope? ... :-)
        Last edited by Ben Bolt; 10-13-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

In a three round fight Ali would have no reason to use the ropes. He would dance and move busting the amateur fighter up badly. No contest. Think.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Think.
            I think rope-a-dope had worked perfectly. 15 seconds into the fight, Teofilo had been exhausted and collapsed to the canvas.
            His next bout had been a lot tougher: coming home to Havana and trying to explain to Castro what happened.

Comment

People confuse two elements of this contest. yes they trained in different styles... So you have to start out by assuming the following: If Ali walked into a three round fight with the need to go from 0 to 60 in a flash, it would be as difficult for him as it would be for Stevenson to set up for a 15 round (no 12 round BS here!) fight with the championship rounds.

I feel like a lot of you are just assuming that because Ali fought in a different style that he had an advantage, if that were true Cuban fighters from the Ammy style would not be succesful in the pros. Actually... the converse is not true, American fighters as a cluster, given our population and boxing history pale by comparison in the amateur ranks compared to the Cubans. so in a sense, Stevenson comes from a higher pedigree if you follow this logic.

Next we have to look at what Ali did that made him so succesful. Its hard to reduce what Ali could do... But one major ingredient was his speed. It was said by martial artists, among others that you could toy with Ali all day and then he would flick that jab and watch you to make sure you didn't fall down when your legs buckled.

Stevenson was a hard puncher, he was an active puncher and he also had blinding speed. If Ali had the speed of a light weight, Stevenson had the speed of a Middle weight at least, and picture perfect form on his punches.

My point here is that when considering this match up it is illogical to assume the different training method would make Ali "better," in some objective sense. If this were true then Cubans would suck as professionals. And if the Ammy's were easy Americans would, as a whole make a better showing. Cuba is a little Island...

Comment

Look at how fast his short right is

Here is a tape, look at how quick his right is, the guy has the punching form of the Brown B0mber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvQUyA470

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  If Ali walked into a three round fight with the need to go from 0 to 60 in a flash, it would be as difficult for him as it would be for Stevenson to set up for a 15 round fight with the championship rounds.
                  In a Ali vs Teofilo 15-rounder, pro rules, I would bet all my money on Ali.
                  In a three-rounder, amateur rules, I wouldn't.

Comment

[QUOTE=QueensburyRules;18986554]--- The great Americano vs the great Cubano, Teofolio Stevenson proposed for the spring of 1976.

Stevenson with much size and youth over Ali, but Fidel nixed the fight, not trusting American officiating and not wanting to turn his biggest star into a political media lightning rod.

Ali instead looked like yesterday's warmed over poo against Jimmy Young that served notice he was never again to be Ali of yore.

Make your case yea or nay as you may.[/QUOT
                    Ali would have toyed with Teo.

Comment

The garbage people believe is staggering. Ali was a very fast starter. Stevenson would not be able to stay with him. Three rounds or fifteen. Greatest hwt champion vs a Cuban amateur. Think.

Comment

Working...
                      X