No announcement yet.

Aerobic or anaerobic??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerobic or anaerobic??

my coach has been telling me to just run how ever many miles straight, so for example just run 4 miles without rest. This is what everyone in the gym is saying to do, however online and in books i'm reading that for boxing its more beneficial to do interval running, so for example run 3 minutes at a fast pace, 1 minute walking, and that's considered 1 round and do 6 rounds.

What do you guys think about this topic? Should i stick with aerobic or switch to anaerobic?

Do both, however your stamina actually improves with you do HIIT

Comment

Long distance, sprints, intervals of running and walking/jogging, running hills are all good.

Depending on how many days per week you plan on running, mix it up.

Monday: Distance
      Tuesday: Intervals
      Wednesday: Distance
      Thursday: Hills - can be running sets up a steep hill, or just running "cross country" on trails in the forrest or wherever with small hills.
      Friday: Sprints
      Rest on the weekends.

For the sprints, you can:

-Sprint 50 yards, and then jog 50 yards as many times as you can in a two or three minute round. My coach recommends 30 second splits for begginers and 20 seocond splits for advanced. So if you are just starting out, you should aim for six 100 yard sets per two minute round, then rest for one minute and do it again two more times. As you improve, try working your way up towards nine 100 yard sets in a three minute round. If it's just too hard at first, try it with 80 yards instead of 100.

-Do tabata intervals of 20 seconds running as fast as you can and then ten seconds of rest. Most times tabatas are done for 8 sets which lasts 4 minutes, but you can do 12 sets which will last six minutes (the length of a fight if your just starting out).

-Start on the goal line of a football field. Sprint 20 yards, and jog back, then sprint 40 yards and jog back, then 60, 80, 100. Then rest a minute and repeat for as many rounds as you want.

When you are running sprints like every exercise you do, it's important to KEEP GOING, even if you are exhausted and your "sprint" is now just a slow jog. If the exercise you are doing calls for three time minute rounds (say the first sprint exercise I listed above), you keep going and finish all three rounds no matter what. If you aren't use to it, it will be hard at first. That's the point. Don't just stop the drill because you are too tired to sprint anymore. Go as fast as you can through the entire time period. You have to be able to fight through the fatigue, it's extremely hard both psyically and mentally but it will save your butt in the ring.

Train hard, fight easy.

Comment

personally i would do both... i would have distance days.. and interval days...

Comment

Rossboxing . Endurance conditioning for boxing
          http://rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym21.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Dan23 View Post
            my coach has been telling me to just run how ever many miles straight, so for example just run 4 miles without rest. This is what everyone in the gym is saying to do, however online and in books i'm reading that for boxing its more beneficial to do interval running, so for example run 3 minutes at a fast pace, 1 minute walking, and that's considered 1 round and do 6 rounds.

What do you guys think about this topic? Should i stick with aerobic or switch to anaerobic?
            you have to decide how confident you are in your trainer. he may know more about the issue than he is letting on. you have to choose whether to do aerobic or anaerobic training based off of specific goals. he may be recommending steady-pace jogging for a specific reason, or he may honestly not know about aerobic vs. anaerobic training. if that is the case. you may want to look into a new trainer.

intervallic, anaerobic training is certainly a better means of sports-related training for boxing than long-distance running. anaerobic workouts include activities in which your muscles are working hard for any duration between 10 seconds and 3 minutes. this type of training prepares you for the fast paced rounds in boxing that are high intensity and last only 2 minutes each (in the amateurs of course).

however, your trainer may just want to build your aerobic base with some beginner aerobic conditioning as a starting point. when boxers are not preparing for a fight, long distance running is often the norm. its used more for maintenance to keep weight down. your trainer may also want you to just lose weight at first and get in shape. long distance runs will burn more calorie because of the duration of the workout.

if you are already in great shape and near fighting weight, however, interval training is best to get you prepared for a fight...

Comment

Do both. A well trained aerobic system helps your anaerobic system and vise versa.

The other guy has a point. Your coach may just be getting you to build a foundation, even if he has no idea about anaerobic conditioning he's still getting you to do the right thing for right now. When you can run all those miles at about a 6 minute pace then its defininely time to start working in some anaerobic work. If your worried about training you anaerobic system too but still listening to your trainer you could just work your ass off when you hit the heavy bag, its still conditioning just not fancy and its sport specific. Im sure hed appreciate the zeal if you did that

Comment

Both!! A good anaerobic endurance lets you punch alot for rounds and a good aerobic endurance lets you recover! so do both! A good workout: HIIT ,also known as High Intensity Interval Training, You jog for 1 minute and then sprint for 20 seconds. Do that for 30 minutes and it will give you great results! Well it's actually my roadwork for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                X