Strengthening for Pullups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengthening for Pullups?

I can only do 10 pullups...

I workout my back with rows,pulldowns,and deadlift...

Any suggestions on how to increase my number of pullups?

Also, I am a skinny person, I have been on a pure powerlifting regime for 16weeks now(You technically don't build any muscle) and am thinking of changing it to 8weeks of pure bodybuilding(Build muscle without getting stronger) then rotating to 8 weeks of halfBB half powerlifting(Put that bodybuilded muscle to work!) Is this a nice idea?

For punching speed, would increased dumbell bench reppititions and press reps help? (Do more reps mean more speed?)

First of, are you doing full rep pullups? Going all the way down until your arms are completely straight (you should feel a stretch at the bottom) and then up until the bar reaches your neck or upper chest? Having good form will bring you one step closer to getting better at pullups. You may find yourself being able to do half the reps, but watching your form is the #1 most important thing. 3-4 good pullups is better than 10 sloppy ones where you only go half way down.

Comment

try holding ur self up then going down REALLY slow

or try holding on with one hand for 10 seconds then switch and that will really help pullup streength

Comment

Ok thanks guys, Ill put this information to work ASAP

Comment

Ten is pretty good. Try resting about a minute after that then try to do ten again. Do it in sets(3).

More reps doesn't mean more speed, it just gives you more muscle endurance.

Comment

Doing pullups with extra weight (backpack, ankle weights) will help out. Also, have somebody with you when youre doing pullups and do as many as you possibly can on your own in one set and then do 3-4 more with that person's help to finish out the set. Another thing you can do is lat pulldowns on a machine with your body weight and work on different grip widths.

One thing that will give you more reps if you don't already do it is have your thumbs right against the side of your index fingers (not going around the bar).

Comment

some general tips, try doing like 5 or even 10 sets of 5 reps if ur max. is 10.after a while, u can slowly increase the reps, and by no time, u will be doing 10 reps easily. breathe out when pulling up and keep ya legs crossed

Comment

by the way, chin ups or pulls ups ( whatever u call them) are great exercise, gymnists do heaps of body weight exercises and look how strong there power:weight body ratio is. they are beasts.

Comment

Working...
                X