Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips to fix tight trapezius and tension headache after sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to fix tight trapezius and tension headache after sparring?

I have very tight upper traps from boxing and sparring any tips on how to stretch and release them?
    Also how to warm the neck and traps up before sparring?

I often get a tension headache after sparring I’ve made sure it’s from my tight neck and traps from a fysio and chiropractor but these guys don’t really give me any tips other than a simple traps stretch

Tnx for any help guys! 🥊

Any massage therapy? I usually go at least once a week.

Comment

Do you have forward head posture and or do your shoulders roll forward?
      If so you need work on your deep neck flexors, back and posterior shoulder muscles and strengthen them. Also strengthening your whole traps(upper,lower and middle) could help. Also stretching your anterior muscles, pecs, anterior deltoids, sternocleidomastoideus could help if your posture is causing your tension headaches.

Of course massage can help but it usually gives you temporary help.
      Last edited by t.n; 06-19-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio168 View Post
        I have very tight upper traps from boxing and sparring any tips on how to stretch and release them?
        Also how to warm the neck and traps up before sparring?

I often get a tension headache after sparring I’ve made sure it’s from my tight neck and traps from a fysio and chiropractor but these guys don’t really give me any tips other than a simple traps stretch

Tnx for any help guys! 🥊
        Be careful with this. I often had a very tight neck and traps when working out. Docs couldn't help until I had an MRI and was later diagnosed with a cervical stenosis. The tightness was my body's way of protecting the spine from getting pinched. I'm actually getting PT for it now and they're having me do a lot of things to strengthen the supporting muscles, so my traps and neck don't have to over-work all the time.
        -Rows (many types, get that scapular retraction going)
        -Farmer's carries
        -Apple pickers (these actually feel good on tight traps)
        -Incline push-ups
        -Planks
        -Pull-ups
        -Turkish get-ups
        -Dead-lifts
        -Weighted lunges
        -Neck retractions
        -Heavy bag work

Form is CRITICAL. Be sure to keep the chin tucked throughout.
        Before I start a PT session, they have me rest my neck on a heating pad for 10 min and we might do some light arm lifts to get warmed up. Not much stretching though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Be careful with this. I often had a very tight neck and traps when working out. Docs couldn't help until I had an MRI and was later diagnosed with a cervical stenosis. The tightness was my body's way of protecting the spine from getting pinched. I'm actually getting PT for it now and they're having me do a lot of things to strengthen the supporting muscles, so my traps and neck don't have to over-work all the time.
          -Rows (many types, get that scapular retraction going)
          -Farmer's carries
          -Apple pickers (these actually feel good on tight traps)
          -Incline push-ups
          -Planks
          -Pull-ups
          -Turkish get-ups
          -Dead-lifts
          -Weighted lunges
          -Neck retractions
          -Heavy bag work

Form is CRITICAL. Be sure to keep the chin tucked throughout.
          Before I start a PT session, they have me rest my neck on a heating pad for 10 min and we might do some light arm lifts to get warmed up. Not much stretching though.
          I had a pinched nerve, took years to shake off.

Comment

So you have pain in the middle of your back right between your shoulder blades? …...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              So you have pain in the middle of your back right between your shoulder blades? …...Rockin'
              That's what I was thinking.

Comment

I only have had headaches when my headgear was too tight around the forehead area. Wearing my headgear too tight for more than 10 minutes will give me a bit of a headache, so possibly loosen the tension in the area that goes around the forehead and tighten it lower in the back a bit more.

You can also work to strengthen your neck and traps. I can tell they are sore often after hard sparring or a fight, not as much from getting hit but I think moreso from the high forces and twisting motion from throwing hooks, etc.

Stretching and cool down could possibly help a bit as well, but it sort of depends on what the cause is.

If you are taking too many shots it could be from getting hit (as your neck would take a lot of trauma and getting hit too much also causes headaches and concussions).

Comment

I do t get hit much. It’s just from all the tightness and flexing when punching and even just keeping my guard up. I need to find a way to stay relaxed in the shoulders and neck when boxing any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                    I only have had headaches when my headgear was too tight around the forehead area. Wearing my headgear too tight for more than 10 minutes will give me a bit of a headache, so possibly loosen the tension in the area that goes around the forehead and tighten it lower in the back a bit more.

You can also work to strengthen your neck and traps. I can tell they are sore often after hard sparring or a fight, not as much from getting hit but I think moreso from the high forces and twisting motion from throwing hooks, etc.

Stretching and cool down could possibly help a bit as well, but it sort of depends on what the cause is.

If you are taking too many shots it could be from getting hit (as your neck would take a lot of trauma and getting hit too much also causes headaches and concussions).
                    I do t get hit much. It’s just from all the tightness and flexing when punching and even just keeping my guard up. I need to find a way to stay relaxed in the shoulders and neck when boxing any tips?

Comment

Working...
                    X