Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid question maybe, but it's about hooks.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question maybe, but it's about hooks.

Hey guys, I have a question that may/may not be fairly stupid. I've been boxing for about 3 months, and have learned to do the hook with my palm facing down.

Recently, a friend of mine said that it was amatuerish, and that real hooks are done with the palm facing you.

What is the correct form? Does one have advantages where the other doesn't, or are they identical? Thanks.

no such thing as correct form the way you are talking about it.

work 'em both in sparring and find out what you think the differences are. that way you learn and can build a solid base instead of relying on what others say.

Comment

fighters throw punches all different ways.... id have to say both are used... whatever comes more natural and fluent to you, should becompletely fine... not with all things... some things you need to do a certain way ... with which way the palm faces on a hook... thats all about the fighter and what feels comfortable.. me personally... i use both.... why not have two different left hooks in your arsenal rather than one..

Comment

In amateur bouts the judges like to see the palm facing down. It makes it easier for them to see a clean hit using the white part of your gloves.

Comment

You can fight classic examples of both.

Comment

Both can be used, I, for one, throw hook palm facing down when I throw long half jab half hook and throw hook with a palm facing me in a short distance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
              Both can be used, I, for one, throw hook palm facing down when I throw long half jab half hook and throw hook with a palm facing me in a short distance.
              Didn't Tommy Morrison throw it face down?

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
                Didn't Tommy Morrison throw it face down?
                I think not. Neither did Lewis.

But I noticed that if I throw it face down I usually get a more accurate shot. Especially if the opponent is moving back and it works especially well if he moves back in a streight line with a jab to my face.

Comment

I am watching Morrison/Ruddock as we speak to double check

Comment

Quick forward this to 1:25, you will see that he throws it with a palm facing him.

Comment

Working...
                    X