No announcement yet.

No Face-Off for Ward-Kovalev 2? Ward apparently a no-show

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    So who was the noshow? Rumours flying from different sides.
    ... Ward was a "no show" for filming HBO's 'Face Off', with Max Kellerman

Because Jim Lampley's interview during the Canelo-Chavez undercard looked like this... (Ward himself barely hears and understands Lampley... one can imagine Kovalev in such a context -- he usually needs a translator...)

Comment

• there was another thread saying kov was a no show and not many people cared but low and behold look at the responses here... from some of the same posters

they both were no shows but all the blame is on ward smh

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
        ... Ward was a "no show" for filming HBO's 'Face Off', with Max Kellerman

Because Jim Lampley's interview during the Canelo-Chavez undercard looked like this... (Ward himself barely hears and understands Lampley... one can imagine Kovalev in such a context -- he usually needs a translator...)

uppercut510

... you can't read, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
          I'd have to respectfully disagree. These faceoffs are a big part of HBO's promo. They know die-hards will be tuning in, they want these promos to grab the attention of casuals. These promos are all over the internet within minutes of airing. Everyone gets to see them if they want to click a link and watch..facebook, youtube, twitter.

Even diehards who pay their HBO bill want to see them. It's part of it all.
          Boxing fans tend to be dissapointed when they find out there is no faceoff show being done.

There's a bad taste in the air between Ward and Kovalev, HBO are hoping for a bitter excahnge, angry words in the face-off to try and sell it to casuals. Every buy counts.
          Would casuals be turned onto a fight by a edgey faceoff..of course they will. Happens all the time.
          Good fights with no buzz can go unoticed. Poor fights wich feature trailers off two guys shouting or hating on eachother can stand out. It's the nature of a casual sports fan. PPV IMO, hopes to reaches out to the casuals first and foremost. They need that, so need all the promo they can get. Boxers in the past have known that, that's why they ramp it up.

In the world of social media, if there's an 'even't going on, people want to show off that they are part of it, that they're tuning in. If promos can help turn this fight into an 'event' then it's better for HBO and the fighters.
          But that will only come with promo work.

Do i think this fight will do massive numbers. No.
          Do i think it will do better numbers (even slightly) with proper promo. Yes.
          The first fight bombed really. This one needs a push.

Promo is essential to every product. I've never heard anyone say any different to be honest. They wouldn't do it if it didn't make any difference.

Personally i think Ward is playing mind games, and i can get that. But he's diva no doubt and it's why people
          can tend to lose interest over him.
          I can't buy a story about being to busy or schedule conflicts.
          While i don't really care too much. I can see why HBO are said to be angry.
          the bad taste is already there...the war of words has been going since the end of the first fight...and more have come since ward "skipped out" on this taping ....so one 5 minute segment aint going to make it any better

kova has said he slaps like girl and everything else...its already tense.....this segment will not sell anymore ppvs...the casuals arent checking for this segment and they dont care about this fight

as ive mentioned...there is likely a 24/7 episode...ward has been to all pressers and posed for the pictures...he was on air at the canelo/chavez fight live....he is participating in this...he skipped one part...a minor part

duva and company mentioned that hbo crews started setting up for this at 4am...4 am? for a table and some chairs and some lighting? so what time were they supposed to film this? and it was on a sunday morning

ward has 4 kids and his own schedule...it prob just didnt fit into his....could u see him having a decent excuse for skipping one small part of this promotion?

its not like ward has bailed on any other part of it.....he prob had his own reason

Comment

• i just dont understand the backlash against ward for this unless you already have an agenda

has ward been to all pressers? check...posed for pics at them next to kov? check....24/7 episode coming most likely...has he declined or turned away cameras? check....did he not show up saturday night for canelo/chavez and do an interview? check

guys are overreacting because he blew town on sunday morning and didnt film for a 5 minute segment that only caters to the diehards that are already buying this fight anyway.....ward has a family and a schedule....it prob didnt fit into it......if he was blowing off several portions of this promotion you might have a legit gripe....hes not....he blew off one thing early on a sunday morning after a late night

Comment

• Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
              i just dont understand the backlash against ward for this
              Why can't you understand that HBO put a lot of work and money setting this up? It's an insult to HBO and boxing fans, more than to Kovalev.

Comment

• Ward stans are defending him on this smh. The last fight was 2 of the best in the division and doesn't even do 200k and he is skipping the faceoff, wtf?? The faceoff would of been awesome Kovalev talked about how he was robbed, Ward can say whatever he wants to say, they hate each other personally. Floyd is a business genius dude had a boring style but knew how to get the casuals and hardcore fans attention. Ward is a boring fighter but screw the fans. Got a gifted decision and talks about retiring, fights once a year mostly in Oakland against bums. F off Ward you prima donna.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    ... I don't know, man...

... The guy is getting his money no matter what... So: Does he really have to eat Kovalev's trash talk each time around?...
                    yes he does you dummy. the face offs are a big deal and many fans were looking forward to this one especially with all the bad blood between the two.it helps promote the fight so it can sell more ppvs and make kovalev and ward more money. the first fight did horrible numbers they need to use every angle they can to get bigger buys for the rematch and andrea's dumbass turns around and does this lol

Comment

• Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
                      yes he does you dummy. the face offs are a big deal and many fans were looking forward to this one especially with all the bad blood between the two.it helps promote the fight so it can sell more ppvs and make kovalev and ward more money. the first fight did horrible numbers they need to use every angle they can to get bigger buys for the rematch and andrea's dumbass turns around and does this lol
                      ... fuck off, kid... everybody around here knows how much I dislike Ward... so, go and preach elsewhere...

Comment

Working...
                      X