No announcement yet.

Training for power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for power

Alright guys, lets talk power. If there is one thing I know it's power. At 165lbs I was squating 345lbs and deadlifting 355lbs for 7 reps, no straps on my hands. Straps are for ******* by the way. So are belts. Never used either and never suffered any injury from lifting. Train don't strain.

First lets talk speed. Speed is directly related to flexibilty. The more flexable you are the less resistance you have across your muscle fibres, the faster you can extend and contract your limbs. I take 10-15min minimum to stretch. Hold your stretches for at least 30sec each, and do them twice. So its a total of 1min for each strecth.

If you are lifting weights for a sport you cant aproach it like a bodybuilder so forget pumped up muscles and the beauty of symetry. You need a plan. And I mean a year long plan. So start taking notes and ask question if anything is unclear.

Muscular contraction is a chemical reaction. This chemical reaction becomes engraved into your muscle memory through training. So how you train will dictate what your muscles will be able to do in the way of what kind of effort they can exert.

If you move slow you train your muscles to be slow. So lifting heavey and I mean over 80% of your 1rep max will make you muscles move slow. But you still need to lift in this rep range to build solid power. The idea is to take a period of time building your power, then taper off on weight. Between 70-80% of your one rep max will help you build your speed. Below 70% is endurance. Which is important in boxing, but I find that speed bag and other boxing specific exercises are better for endurance.

EXERCISESon'ts
    Dont waste your time in the gym doing garbage movements. Exercises like dumbell kickbacks are for are for clowns and bodybuilders. There is no room in your exhausting boxing train for time consuming exercises like those. Stay away from isolation movements. Concentration curls, preacher curls, triseps extension, flyes, both front and reverse, leg curls and extensions. These are your don'ts.

Exerciseso's
    COMPOUND MOVEMENTS PEOPLE!!!. Thats the key to success. Bench press, both barbel and dumbell. Flat or inclined, but not decline. Bent over rows barbell/dumbell, t-bar row, Wide grip chinups, regular chins and pull-ups, dumbell/barbell shrugs. Squats deadlifts, Powercleans, highpulls. These are really the only exercises you should concern yourself with in the way of weights.

SETS,REPS,REST
    When training for absolute power-over80%- you should be doin 2-5reps 6-8 sets per exercise, with 3-5 min rest between sets. There is no need to do more then 1-2 exercises per body part. And no more then 12sets. You can't afford to head for a burn out when training with so much intensity.
    The movement here will be slow, but thats o.k.. It will pay off in the next part of your training. Train like this for 3 months

Training for speed:Between 70-80% of your one rep max. Do 6-8 reps, 3-4sets of 2-3 exercises. Again you will not do more then 12sets in total. Now because of the power you gained, weight you were doing for 6-8 reps should be easier. Now that they are easier you can increase the speed of the movement. Do this for 3 months aswell.

Once your cycle is over take a break from everything, and I mean boxing aswell, from 4days to a week. Don't worry, you will not have lost a thing. If you are really into traing though, start cardio after 4 days of rest. Recovery is just as important as training.

I think some fighters just have natural power... Like Tszyu, but to get great power you need to perfect your timing.

Comment

And widen you stance...

Comment

Lower weight boxers don't need to lift weights.

Comment

Everyone should lift weights. It develops more punching power. Lift smart by not developing hypertrophy, meaning the swelling of muscles. This will allow you not to gain weight, or very little.

If two fighters who have exactly the same skill match up, usually the stronger one wins.

Echo

Comment

Being strong throughout your whole body and having high levels of overall fitness and cardio will aid your punching power, but nothing beats having great punching technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Echojaybird
              Everyone should lift weights. It develops more punching power. Lift smart by not developing hypertrophy, meaning the swelling of muscles. This will allow you not to gain weight, or very little.

If two fighters who have exactly the same skill match up, usually the stronger one wins.

Echo
              i would think the faster one would win. go for speed, speed kills

like roy said.....strength dont mean **** if you cant put it on the target

Comment

When you lift, lift explosively. The whole "weight training will make your punches slower" thing is a myth. Studies have shown that lifting weights can actually develop more speed and explosive power and also make the muscles more flexible. And as stated above, technique is also key.

Echo

Comment

When training for explosiveness you could go as low as 50% of ur max.. as long as the movements are done explosively.

Also, the best thing for speed/power is plyometrics. Plyometrics are explosive movements such as a jump squat or a medicine ball pass.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
                    Lower weight boxers don't need to lift weights.
                    i think so too, when chavez vs taylor he didnt looks "big" no musles in his arm at all, but he almost kill taylor. how do evander holyfield train?, i mean his arms is much bigger than his legs, how did he do that?.

Comment

Working...
                    X