Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to start boxing, equipment needed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to start boxing, equipment needed?

Hello guys, after watching boxing for so many years, I've decided to start boxing. I'm only 18 so I'm wondering what gloves/wraps I'll need to do amateur boxing, sparring, training in New Jersey. Also what brand I should stick to, I know everlast is good but if there's another I should try out I would like to know. Any help is wonderful.
    Thanks

I would not invest in any equipment until after a few months of training waste imo
    because boxing is a lot harder than what most people think.

Comment

Originally posted by BBFM View Post
      I would not invest in any equipment until after a few months of training waste imo
      because boxing is a lot harder than what most people think.
      But I should at least buy some wraps and gloves? I understand boxing is by no means easy, trust me. But I believe being that I'm in good condition due to training for football, and am a lean 6 foot 2 170 lbs, I want to begin boxing. Being that I'm puerto rican we are brought up to love the sport and I've studied and watched countless fights since the age of 10. I'm a dedicated athlete and am very dedicated to sports I participate in, such as football/basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by smv25 View Post
        But I should at least buy some wraps and gloves? I understand boxing is by no means easy, trust me. But I believe being that I'm in good condition due to training for football, and am a lean 6 foot 2 170 lbs, I want to begin boxing. Being that I'm puerto rican we are brought up to love the sport and I've studied and watched countless fights since the age of 10. I'm a dedicated athlete and am very dedicated to sports I participate in, such as football/basketball.
        Don't listen to that other guy, anyone can box just make sure you stick to it. My first boxing gloves were these 16ozers Golds Gym PU Sparring Gloves (I can't post links yet), you should be able to find them on amazon. They don't look like much but damn are they durable, cheap and offer some very good protection. Just pick up any pair of wraps, not really important what wraps you get but make sure you learn how to wrap your hands properly and always wrap your hands before doing any bagwork/sparring. You should always spar with 16oz gloves regardless of what anyone else tells you and people always disagree with what weight to use for bagwork but I personally like using 16oz for that too.

Comment

At this moment before you buy any equipment, you should look for a good gym, This is the most important thing you should thinking right now.

Comment

If you like you can use this link, http://www.boxinggyms.com, it can help you to look for real gyms in your area.

Comment

I've found a gym with some equipment on my college campus I'll be using for a few weeks, but also found some gyms I'm going to go to during the summer and when im not on campus. Also I've looked at that website just now and that's how I found other gyms

Comment

I wish you the best bro

Comment

Id recommend you get 180 inch Mexican style had wraps. The title ones are better than everlast because the Velcro does not wear out.

Comment

Thanks guys for being so helpful! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X