No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson looks very ordinary to me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Ray Robinson looks very ordinary to me

just watched ray robinson vs carmen basillio II...why is this guy considered the greatest? (i know i might get flamed for this, but i want some feedback. + i know i shouldnt judge just from 1 fight, so recommend me his best performances)

Originally posted by STILL_DETOX View Post
    just watched ray robinson vs carmen basillio II...why is this guy considered the greatest? (i know i might get flamed for this, but i want some feedback. + i know i shouldnt judge just from 1 fight, so recommend me his best performances)
    This was also Robinsons 18th year as a pro and with almost 150 fights, not to mention Basilio was one of the greatest pressure fighters ever.

His overall competition beat is why he considered the greatest.

If not Robinson, who would you rank the greatest p4p fighter, my friend?

Comment

He was extra-ordinary to be able to do what he did against Basilio at 38 years of age, regaining the middleweight title for a 5th time. It was not one of his best ever performances because he was aging and never the same after the 3 year break from boxing he took in 1952-1955.

Watching these films should leave you with an impression of his abilities:

Comment

Robinson ordinary!.. Perish the thought.. Some months ago, I made the mistake of suggesting that Felix Trinidad may have been a better fighter at 147.. I've since reconsidered my views..
        As an amateur lightweight he was unbeaten in 85 bouts with 69 KO's, 40 of those coming in the 1st round!
        He then won his first 26 professional fights inside a year!
        Like Ali, he carried on for too long, which was when most of his losses occurred..
        However, I don't believe he was ever beaten at welter, & avenged most of his losses at Middle.. I wouldn't quite say he was the best MW of AT, but at 147, I'm convinced he is.. You only have to study the footage sent in by GreatA (many thanks) to see that Ray Robinson was NOT an ordinary fighter!
        Last edited by mickey malone; 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I think the KO of Bobo Olson 3 is my favorite Ray Robinson combination of them all.

Comment

thnx for the vids..and the greatest p4p fighter to ME is bernard hopkins

Comment

Bernard looks ordinary to me.

Comment

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                  Bernard looks ordinary to me.
                  Don't get me wrong, I'd still slip him one but he's not half of a dish as Calzaghe.

Comment

Maybe he ordinary on the footage you watched, because he is 12 years past his best and is 38 years old. But yet is still fighting for the middlweight title and beating a fellow great in carmon.

before you talk utter ****, do your reasearch.

Comment

Working...
                    X