No announcement yet.

James Toney Shoulder Defense vs. Aggression

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney Shoulder Defense vs. Aggression

I'm trying to learn the james toney style of defense, of right hand up, left shoulder up, roll with punches.

The thing is, if I get swarmed, and the attacker just keeps throwing as I bend and duck and roll, how would I handle that?

In a basic boxing stance, I would just cover and throw back, but with this kind of defense, I could be bent over real far (like I'm trying to pick something off the floor), how do I hit back, or even keep ducking continued punches?

Sorry if this is a dumbass question.

Originally posted by TheFlyingMan
    I'm trying to learn the james toney style of defense, of right hand up, left shoulder up, roll with punches.

The thing is, if I get swarmed, and the attacker just keeps throwing as I bend and duck and roll, how would I handle that?

In a basic boxing stance, I would just cover and throw back, but with this kind of defense, I could be bent over real far (like I'm trying to pick something off the floor), how do I hit back, or even keep ducking continued punches?

Sorry if this is a dumbass question.
    I do the same thing as southpaw, only diference is that i'm a switch hitter and i fight totally different as orthadox.

Its depends on certain factors, not everyone can pull off that style.

I think the main problem with that is that some people duck too soon or do it in the middle of the ring, IMO its only really good against the ropes. I know James Toney is always doing it but he gets tagged a lot too.

I just keep it to a minimum, i have good power so fighters dont normally want to land combos because they know what comes back if they stand in range for too long. I normally find the right hook and left uppercut are two power shots you can land whilst doing that style(in your case left hook and right uppercut) which will make your opponent think twice about rushing you.

Comment

All you got to do is try it

If you feel good tell ur trainer when u on the mitts to throw at u like ur in that style if u know what I mean

Comment

When someone is swarming you while using that style dodge or the first two or three punches the best you can, and when they start closing the distance you can either fire back, move back, or push them off of you, and then repeat the action.

On a side note, when ducking like James Toney, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Chris Byrd do it's good to follow up with a straight right hand (left if you're southpaw) Because when you're coming up that punch comes with alot of power. I know you probably don't get what I'm saying when you're reading it, but a good fight to look at as a perfect example is Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Phillip N'dou - in that fight Mayweather rolled the shots extremely well, while countering with straight right hands....The crazy thing about it was that Phillip N'dou threw well near 100 punches in a couple of those rounds, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
          When someone is swarming you while using that style dodge or the first two or three punches the best you can, and when they start closing the distance you can either fire back, move back, or push them off of you, and then repeat the action.

On a side note, when ducking like James Toney, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Chris Byrd do it's good to follow up with a straight right hand (left if you're southpaw) Because when you're coming up that punch comes with alot of power. I know you probably don't get what I'm saying when you're reading it, but a good fight to look at as a perfect example is Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Phillip N'dou - in that fight Mayweather rolled the shots extremely well, while countering with straight right hands....The crazy thing about it was that Phillip N'dou threw well near 100 punches in a couple of those rounds, if I remember correctly.
          I get what your saying.

I was just in the gym before and i was landing some nice straight lefts from the southpaw style, like you said you can get some power into it.

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
            I get what your saying.

I was just in the gym before and i was landing some nice straight lefts from the southpaw style, like you said you can get some power into it.

hmm maybe if he could email james toney and ask?, its almost impossible to hit toney with a clean shoot and its hard to reach his right chin he can also protect it with his righthand.

btw who is the girl on your avatar? i cant stop look at it everytime i see you post

Comment

Originally posted by kapersky

hmm maybe if he could email james toney and ask?, its almost impossible to hit toney with a clean shoot and its hard to reach his right chin he can also protect it with his righthand.

btw who is the girl on your avatar? i cant stop look at it everytime i see you post
              I think Toney takes his fair share of punches but fighters never seem to land clean power shots. Part of the reason is because Toney has a very strong jab, it makes the opponent coming in think twice, add that to his defensive skills and he's a tough man to beat.

Sadly I dont know who the girl is.

Comment

start off basic, u gotta break down the " i dont wanna get hit" mental block. its mental b4 physical, may sound weird but James style is totally not scared of punches or even a mock of opponents power, he stands infront of u and u still can barely hurt or land clean shots.
                As "great rippah" said, just try it. one piece of solid advice, it wont work effectively in amatuers, becos of the points matter.

Comment

wow crazy sdfd

Comment

look at my vids i do his shoulder roll alot

its effective but makesure you roll other ways and dont abuse it
                    you will get rocked

ive been hit in the process of mastering the move

best wya to learn it isnt by talkign botu it but
                    watching and studing it

Comment

Working...
                    X