No announcement yet.

Weight lifting vs body weight calisthenics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting vs body weight calisthenics

Ok im not boasting by any part im 16 years 7 months old been boxing for a year won 9 fight without a loss im realy fast im 76 kg and im faster then alot of the bantam weights now im not sure if im strong or not i have realy strong forearms and wrists but i bench press **** all is this possible like can you be realy strong in one area and weak in the other? anyways do all modern day boxers lift weights these days kostya tszyu did 100% calisthenics and he had a knock out punch in my opinion was a slugger anyways can calisthenics build hardcore strength and a nice physique? i have a siz pack but im fairly skinny wanna bulk up a little im 6 kg under lightheavy weight ao any help is much appreciated cheers.

Originally posted by kostya tszyu View Post
    Ok im not boasting by any part im 16 years 7 months old been boxing for a year won 9 fight without a loss im realy fast im 76 kg and im faster then alot of the bantam weights now im not sure if im strong or not i have realy strong forearms and wrists but i bench press **** all is this possible like can you be realy strong in one area and weak in the other? anyways do all modern day boxers lift weights these days kostya tszyu did 100% calisthenics and he had a knock out punch in my opinion was a slugger anyways can calisthenics build hardcore strength and a nice physique? i have a siz pack but im fairly skinny wanna bulk up a little im 6 kg under lightheavy weight ao any help is much appreciated cheers.
    Thats a great record, so why do you need to change? you donīt need to bench press big to be a good boxer! you will fill out naturally as you get older anyway, you need to eat enough for growth though.

If you just want to get stronger lift heavy weights & if you control your calories you wonīt get much bigger just stronger. You can do 3 sets of around 5 reps doing the basics - squats, benchpress, shoulderpress, deadlifts, rows and chin-ups (might need to attach a weight to your body once you can easily do 12+ reps).Do them once or twice a week. Forget about the isolation exercises such as bicep curls etc. This will increase your overall strength

To gain biggers muscles and increase weight you need to eat more cals than you burn, this usually will mean an increase in fat which you can cut later. increase your calorie intake by about 500 grams or so. You need to get plenty of rest too so cut back on the cardio. So if you really want to do it (getter bigger) wait until off season so it wonīt affect your boxing. I would concentrate on boxing though if I was you.
    Last edited by Trrmo; 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

if you're gonna work with weights keep the reps high so you get that lean muscle. if you do high weight and low reps you'll get bulky muscle that tires quickly.

just try adding weights to your routine if it has a positive affect on your performance keep it if it slows you down stick to body weight ****. everyone's body responds to things differently so give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by fight game View Post
        if you're gonna work with weights keep the reps high so you get that lean muscle. if you do high weight and low reps you'll get bulky muscle that tires quickly.
        Not true. You wont get the bulky muscle unless you EAT enough (calorie surplus).

How many times does this need to be said?

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
          Not true. You wont get the bulky muscle unless you EAT enough (calorie surplus).

my apologies lol.

Comment

Does this guy look "bulky" to you?? not bulky but very strong!

how about this girl... bulky?

Comment

Boxing must be one of the only sports that hasn't taken advantage of weight training to improve athletes performance.

Training with low reps will improves a boxers raw strength and power without adding weight if the calorific intake is controlled. What boxer wouldn't want to get stronger?

In response to the Kostya Tszyu comment above, he was reportedly benching over 300lbs in his prime, hence the KO power!

Comment

Does this guy look "bulky" to you?? not bulky but very strong!

how about this girl... bulky?
                all I know is when we trained for football they had us doing low reps high weight to bulk us up. boxing is a sport that'll get you dead tired im just tryna help my man relax.

Comment

Originally posted by fight game View Post
                  all I know is when we trained for football they had us doing low reps high weight to bulk us up. boxing is a sport that'll get you dead tired im just tryna help my man relax.
                  Rep range is irrelevant if you are on a calorie controlled diet.

You can use compound lifts with a low rep range to improve raw strength and then use the rounds on the heavy bag/focus mitts/sparring to improve conditioning/endurance.

I use 5 sets of 5 reps and use the following exercises: push press, deadlift, squat, weighted pullups, weighted dips, squats.

Then to improve my endurance I hit the bag, skip etc

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
                    Rep range is irrelevant if you are on a calorie controlled diet.

You can use compound lifts with a low rep range to improve raw strength and then use the rounds on the heavy bag/focus mitts/sparring to improve conditioning/endurance.

I use 5 sets of 5 reps and use the following exercises: push press, deadlift, squat, weighted pullups, weighted dips, squats.

Then to improve my endurance I hit the bag, skip etc

Hope that helps
                    yea thanks I always thought low reps had something to do with increasing the rate your body makes lactic acid and tires you out but I guess not.

Comment

Working...
                    X