How much roadwork do you do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much roadwork do you do?

Hi guys,

I was wondering how much roadwork you do and if you find it as valuable as the old school trainers do given that there have been advancements in training knowledge.

I'm an amateur and i do roughly 15k per week split into 3 runs which i time myself to keep pace.

Training for 3 rounds only.

Answers on a postcard!

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the best for boxers because it works on explosiveness, so you do 1-2 min sprints where you really give it your all then walk for 2-3 mins, you repeat that like 5-7 times and that's it, but before that I always like to run a mile or something at a slow pace to warm up. You can do this HIIT training 3-4 times a week and a long run once a week where you run 5-6 Miles (8-10 KM) at once and always as fast as possible, also try to run sideways and backwards, 10 KM in 50 minutes is a good goal for boxers (varies depending on your size, this is for a 5ft11 guy), also try to run where there are some hills, helps a lot with the stamina.

If you combine this with your boxing training and jumping ropes (3 rounds (15 minutes)) before your boxing trainings you should definitely be in shape cardiowise for a 3 round fight. Plus try to avoid HIIT training or long runs on days where you spar, you wanna go to your sparring sessions fresh because there you need to be focused because that's where you learn the most.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dip_Slide; 12-06-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I believe running is insanely overrated.

Just worked the corner for an 8 round state title fight where my guy absolutely refused to do any sort of strength and conditioning with me. The guy is an avid runner and consistently would run 7-15 miles 3-4 times a week. Sure enough his legs were gone by the third round.

It was one of those situations where I was really only there to give the guy water and a pat on the shoulder. Now this could have been a case of running too much, but it was an all action fight and I don't believe the high intensity pace would have been affected by long distance running. Boxing is far more anaerobic than it is aerobic.

That doesn't mean running doesn't have its place, but it shouldn't be priority over sprints and the like.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As an amateur i only do 3 rounds so i've been gettting in 2 or 3 5k runs per week. I recently started doing more HIIT and strength & conditioning work in place of one of the runs and i feel fitter but slower on my feet. I think they both have a place itns just difficult to find a balance.

Comment

I'll do 3 mins total of 20 seconds jogging and 10 seconds of full on sprinting. It'll simulate a real bout. You rarely fight at the same tempo. Then I'll do 1 mile at a constant pace then rest for 2 mins. I'll do 3 rounds of this 4 times a week then usually go to work on the heavy bag and jump rope in a similar fashion like the run I do.
          Last edited by AndreLittle2323; 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X