No announcement yet.

Tips for running in the cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for running in the cold

Since its gotten cold around here (where I live, its winter) I haven't really run very much. This is because the last time I ran I came back with an extremely scratchy throat and was coughing constantly. I took a cough supressant and it seemed to clear everything up. However rather then take medication every morning (or night) I'd like to know if anybody knows of a way to prevent this...

I heard somebody I know say something about curving your tongue up to prevent the cold air from hitting your throat but that seemed strange...

thanks for any help

i wear bout 4 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, a hoody, sweat pants with the bottoms of a sauna suit, and a beanie.

Comment

still winter where i am too, i could also use the advice. but what i normally do that seems to help is that when the cold air starts hurting my throat, i stick my mouth and nose inside my shirt and breathe the warm air for a few minutes, seems to help a little

Comment

Originally posted by \/oid161 View Post
        still winter where i am too, i could also use the advice. but what i normally do that seems to help is that when the cold air starts hurting my throat, i stick my mouth and nose inside my shirt and breathe the warm air for a few minutes, seems to help a little
        Yea I was doing the same thing seemed to get annoying, maybe I need to find like a mask or something....

I hope I'm not mistaken with some kind of rapist, running in the dark with a mask on lol

Comment

join the YMCA .... run on a treadmill. i live in nebraska, and its not even worth it to try and run outside. the Y membership is a must have where I am

Comment

Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

Comment

well i have been running for about a year now and when I first started running and getting into boxing I weighed about 190 and I went down to 152 and right now im in the 158-165 area. The weather here tonight is 13 Degrees! Thats ****ing nuts! I run at my fitness gym but I run atleast once a week outside is teh freezing cold weather. my advice is warm up and stretch for several minutes before you go out there. COVER YOUR HEAD or else be ready to get sick. wear some long socks or double up on the socks to prevent your feet from getting hurt in the cold weather. Try to use your nose as much as possible for breathing instead of your mouth.

Comment

when i go out to run in the morning, i go out on some extra prepared commando mode.

long socks tucked underneath thermo pants. 2 longsleeve thermo shirts and a t-shirt over it. sweats all over with a beanie and gloves. i zip up my track suit all the way up and try to keep my chin down and tuck the lower part of my jaw inside.

Comment

Dress Warmly man and you'll begin to love running in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00 View Post
                    Since its gotten cold around here (where I live, its winter) I haven't really run very much. This is because the last time I ran I came back with an extremely scratchy throat and was coughing constantly. I took a cough supressant and it seemed to clear everything up. However rather then take medication every morning (or night) I'd like to know if anybody knows of a way to prevent this...

I heard somebody I know say something about curving your tongue up to prevent the cold air from hitting your throat but that seemed strange...

thanks for any help
                    my experience has been that it isn't running in the cold so much as how often you run in the cold. i know everyone's body is a little different but for me, my throat gets affected like that when it is below 40 degrees outside and i am not running on a regular basis.

when i get up to 3-5 runs per week the cold doesn't bother me at all. i wear shorts only with a t-shirt, sweat shirt and zip up hoody and a beanie...

Comment

Working...
                    X