Regaining confidence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regaining confidence

Hi guys,

It's been one week since I got absolutely rocked in sparring, and I just had my first time back in the ring today.... I couldn't pull the trigger, I didn't want to stay within range and overall had that terrified feeling all over again from when I first started sparring. I know everyone gets hit and it's definitely not a tickling contest, but my body kicked into survival mode once I heard the bell.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I am NOT ready to quit boxing, but at the same time it's a terrible feeling to be in that ring and not feeling in control.

Keep sparring.

Edit: what helps me is that I know that everybody gets rocked from your average Joe to world champions and we all shine as well as have off days. The point is keep doing it because that will not change. That fact gets me through anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
      Keep sparring.

Edit: what helps me is that I know that everybody gets rocked from your average Joe to world champions and we all shine as well as have off days. The point is keep doing it because that will not change. That fact gets me through anything.
      Thanks man, it's scary being in that ring, but I guess that's why most people watch the fights and only a handful of people actually box.

Comment

It's like racing a car or motorcycle. It's not if but when you crash.

Same with boxing. It's not if but when you get a beating.

Learn from it. Fear/flight will just get you beaten up more.

Comment

I know the feeling, I took an ass whooping in one of my bouts and got put off from competing because I looked so bad. Luckily I was away from home so no one I knew seen, but it puts doubts in your head. Just gotta stick with it the way I see it is this we only have a certain time to do our thing once were old we can't compete so do it while you can you only have one chance at it. Even the greats got koed

Comment

Yup I was knocked down in the 5th round of my first day sparring by someone almost 20lbs lighter than me. I couldn't remember anything about that day until I came to train after taking a day off (had a sore head and the usual concussion symptoms). My trainer said I was put on my ass, got up then sat down to cool off before driving home. I didn't even remember getting in my car. I do remember sparring and getting completely exhausted and apparently I had my mouth wide open breathing heavily and just kept going forward, which contributed to me getting KO'd.

REALLY wasn't good for my confidence.

The next sparring session, I kept my hands up, good distance maintained and no tough-guy/brawling tactics were used on that day.

I've always been a pretty decent puncher, but getting knocked out helped me improve my defense and I'll never underestimate my opponents' power!

Comment

I think every fighter has taken an a$$ beating here or there in their boxing life. I've been wooped in sparring before but it's not a big deal to me. I train harder, work on new things, work on bad habits, and get back to sparring. To build up confidence in sparring just spar lite with someone you know won't go off on you. Sparring is practice for a fight or just to get better as a fighter, it's not an actual fight at an event where you let it all go.

Comment

Originally posted by Thank Me Later View Post
                I think every fighter has taken an a$$ beating here or there in their boxing life. I've been wooped in sparring before but it's not a big deal to me. I train harder, work on new things, work on bad habits, and get back to sparring. To build up confidence in sparring just spar lite with someone you know won't go off on you. Sparring is practice for a fight or just to get better as a fighter, it's not an actual fight at an event where you let it all go.
                Gotta disagree with you, sparring is lite and heavy. I spar lightly when working on things and then when gyms get together for sparring its a fight you better believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by patshan View Post
                  Hi guys,

It's been one week since I got absolutely rocked in sparring, and I just had my first time back in the ring today.... I couldn't pull the trigger, I didn't want to stay within range and overall had that terrified feeling all over again from when I first started sparring. I know everyone gets hit and it's definitely not a tickling contest, but my body kicked into survival mode once I heard the bell.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I am NOT ready to quit boxing, but at the same time it's a terrible feeling to be in that ring and not feeling in control.
                  If I get rocked I always try and control distance better next time around - punch and move. Even if you normally like to stay within range a bit more you'll ease yourself back into it by doing this...

Comment

Even Floyd Mayweather, the best defensive fighter in the entire game... gets a bloody nose... Keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X