No announcement yet.

Manny Pacqiuao vs Alexis Arguello

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacqiuao vs Alexis Arguello

This is one of the most interesting fantasy fights in the history of boxing. Could Manny's speed of hand and foot cause the flat footed Arguello problems?

Would Arguello's power and precision see him through?

Lets say the fight happens at 135lb. Who wins and how?

a 2 handed manny takes this.

the one handed manny loses a close one.

Comment

If we're talking prime, it would probably be like Pryor-Arguello, where Arguello would land his shots but the activity of Pacquiao would earn him the win.

Comment

At 135 am going with arguello, i think he might even stop manny late

Comment

One thing that Arguello didn't deal too well with was movement, his only loss during his reign against Fernandez in that over the weight fight was because Fernandez never let him get set, he'd shoot 2 or 3 punches then move before Arguello could get anything going, Arturo Leon, one of the only ones to go the distance with Arguello during his reign did it by moving on him all fight, even though he lost. I don't think it's a good stylistic matchup for El Flaco Explosivo honestly, Pacquiao would also be the bigger man. Pacquiao by late stoppage.
          Last edited by Silencers; 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Manny might have been too fast and mobile for Arguello. Best way to beat a guy like Alexis is just keep him turning, don't let him set his feet and catch him with one or two shots as he turns and tries to adjust his feet. Manny would do exactly that, death by lead left hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              One thing that Arguello didn't deal too well with was movement, his only loss during his reign against Fernandez in that over the weight fight with Fernandez was because Fernandez never let him get set, he'd shoot 2 or 3 punches then move before Arguello could get anything going, Arturo Leon, one of the only ones to go the distance with Arguello during his reign did it by moving on him all fight, even though he lost. I don't think it's a good stylistic matchup for El Flaco Explosivo honestly, Pacquiao would also be the bigger man. Pacquiao by late stoppage.
              This is a great assessment as always, but I like Arguello here. It would take a few rounds but I think Alexis' jab and timing would take over. Once he finds his rhythm I think he'd start countering Manny much the way JMM did and make Pac cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                This is a great assessment as always, but I like Arguello here. It would take a few rounds but I think Alexis' jab and timing would take over. Once he finds his rhythm I think he'd start countering Manny much the way JMM did and make Pac cautious.
                While I agree that Arguello's timing was great, among the best of all time, he didn't really use it as a counterpuncher like JMM, he used his timing as an offensive fighter. I wonder if Arguello would be able to use his timing as well on counterpunching as he did on offense. And to be honest I think JMM is/was better at using his feet to counterpunch than Arguello, this doesn't mean I think JMM is a better fighter, I just think his footwork when he counterpunches is more adept, which is also a reason why he gave Pacquiao major fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  While I agree that Arguello's timing was great, among the best of all time, he didn't really use it as a counterpuncher like JMM, he used his timing as an offensive fighter. I wonder if Arguello would be able to use his timing as well on counterpunching as he did on offense. And to be honest I think JMM is/was better at using his feet to counterpunch than Arguello, this doesn't mean I think JMM is a better fighter, I just think his footwork when he counterpunches is more adept, which is also a reason why he gave Pacquiao major fits.
                  All good points. How do you think Arguello's height and reach advantage would come into play here? I didn't mention it earlier, but I think that is a big factor too.

Comment

The fight resemebles Morales / Pacquiao I, except Arguello hurts Pac a lot more Morales did (who was not a big puncher at the time).

Comment

Working...
                    X