No announcement yet.

The pasta debate.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pasta debate.

Do you find that pasta inhibits your attempts to get a six pack. I work out like a beast but eat considerable amounts of pasta and i can't get a tiny bit of fat off my belly to make it flat. It's the only thing in my diet I can think of that does this. Any thoughts? The problem is it is the best food for giving me energy.

I doubt it unless you eat loads of it, but if that is the case then it will be because pasta (white pasta I assume you are talking about) is pretty high GI (glycemic index) and so it ups your blood glucose too quickly, too quick so that you cant burn it effectively.

What you could try doing is changing from white refined pasta to brown wholegrain pasta, it doesnt metabolise into glucose as quickly so that it gives you a steady stream of energy you can effectively burn off.

Basically the refined pasta metabolises too quickly leaving you with excess blood glucose which converts to fat

edit: Again I doubt it is the pasta but I suppose there could be a small chance that it is, try wholegrain for a couple of months and see how it goes, it tastes like **** compared though I tell you. What Ive done is swapped pasta for brown rice.

If after a couple of weeks nothing changes then its most probably just your genetics and the way your body is built

Comment

You obviously love your pasta but if ur saying that it is the only thing that could be preventing that little bit of belly fat from going then the only alternative is to cut it out for a while and see if u notice a change. Like the dude above said swap it for brown rice or something that will give you some energy since that is what u say it does for you. You only have to make the sacrifice for a couple of months, then if it makes no difference just get bk on the pasta. Everyones body is different, the question is what do u want more? a 6 pack or a bowl of pasta? It might be worth measuring your body fat% now and then again after your diet change, if it lowers slightly the more chance those bottom 2 abs will show. ps im no pasta expert, just tryn to apply some common sense.
      Last edited by jonesy; 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

What does your exercise consist of?

Comment

Bro I feel you on this but I started eating whole grain pasta with spinash and fat free cheese with sun dried tomato sauce...also I started eating more grilled chicken with steamed vegies and I'm starting to notice my results after two weeks abdominal fat sucks

Comment

Whole wheat pasta olive oil, basil, and su dried tomatoes. Top it with grilled chicken.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will start eating brown pasta more from now on.

My excercise generally is 3-4 30 minute runs a week, 3-4 20 minutes of skipping, 3 days of weight lifting and ab work. I would do even more if I didn't work full time.

Comment

with that kind of activity/working out u should be good to eat foods like pasta, pizza, and lasagna well...

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                  with that kind of activity/working out u should be good to eat foods like pasta, pizza, and lasagna well...
                  I know man, I'm lean but have this bit of belly fat I can't shake off.

Comment

Yup when it comes to carbs Pasta and Rice are your best friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X