Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to become a great trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good break down

Nicely put, like how its categorized and explained for us to hahaha like a coach

Comment

Bring this one back.

Comment

Lets discuss the principles of coaching:

Angelo Dundee says: "Criticism is ok, encouragement is better"

Cus D'Amato: “A boy comes to me with a spark of interest, I feed the spark and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes a fire. I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze.”

Barry Robinson says something like (not precise quote): "I can create a drill for any type of technique. Basically, break a talent down into a bunch of drills."

What are your thoughts?

Comment

All that you need to be a boxing trainer is some time, a vido camera, no fighting experience and a defensive mechanism in your mind that makes you defensive towards any constructive critism. Oh, and you'll need a boxer.

Good thread Cuauhtemoc......... Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            All that you need to be a boxing trainer is some time, a vido camera, no fighting experience and a defensive mechanism in your mind that makes you defensive towards any constructive critism. Oh, and you'll need a boxer.

Good thread Cuauhtemoc......... Rockin'

Comment

I honestly wanted to point out the difference in doing drills and training fighters. As a former fighter, I thought I knew everything about boxing. Then when I started becoming a trainer and learning under real trainers, I had to re-learn the boxing game from a completely different perspective.

It's amazing how different it really is, looking from the outside in as opposed to the inside out.

Comment

a great fighter

Comment

Amazing thread.

Comment

5: A wife that doesn't mind you working long hours for little/no money.
                    6: Being fine knowing you'll probably have to work a seperate job for several years or until your rep and clientel grows.

And a willingness to take your lumps and pay your dues. Even as a trainer you should always be learning, and some days you get shown up by a trainer who knows more about something than you do. Rather than getting defensive, you have to suck it up, take the shot to your manhood, and adjust your philosophy.

Comment

Live in an area that NEEDS boxing!
                      Be able to open the doors from 9am to Noon/ 2pm to 5pm/ 7pm to 9pm.
                      Teach what "health insurance is"!
                      Have tremendous amounts of patience
                      learn how to evaluate talent so you "mutiple" training techniques can be applied.
                      Get ALL report cards from the teachers before the parents get them!
                      Learn how to solicate funds from the richest people in town!!
                      Find part time jobs for ALL your fighters so responsibility is taught!!
                      Understand ALL cultural differences so that you have a handle on beliefs.
                      Teach english.........................Learn spanish! HA!!!
                      Learn how to except the fact that the street will take a vast majority from you, thats the tuffest one!

The boxing stuff takes years to learn then you have to be a good teacher to teach it!! The rest is ofcourse luck and hard work.

promotor
                      matchmaker
                      hospital supplies
                      transportation
                      backup insurances lots to do, and lots to learn! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X