Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 Y/O trying to get Nutrition right..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Y/O trying to get Nutrition right..

6"1' | 160.5lbs

What's up. I've been going on a "diet" for almost a week now, trying to lose some pounds(5-7lbs) eating right and doing crunches so I can start my boxing training. I've been jogging/running, doing crunches/situps, and shadowboxing everyday, aswell as trying to not eat as many calories.

Right now this is how my diet is looking:

Breakfast:
    - 2 eggs scrambled/omelette, some ham, and to drink a glass of water or milk
    - always followed by a green apple or plum

Lunch:
    -Whatever school lunch has to offer. Usually rice with some kind of chicken or meat, or sometimes a chicken sandwhich
    - always followed by an apple

Dinner:
    - whatever my mom made for dinner. Usually rice or something, since we're hispanic and ****.
    - always followed by an apple or plum

I'm always trying to get a fruit into every meal of the day. And sometimes when I have cravings or want a snack I eat Nutri-Grain bars or another fruit. Sometimes Mini-Wheats.

So, I need you guys' help. What are some good diets you guys do? Or, how could I modify mine?

Last edited by Rabiaa; 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM.

its awesome that your trying to start out at a young age but i will tell you this now that eating healthy is a lifestyle not something you want to do because its good for you. until you have lived this way for quite some time or know someone that can teach you all you need to know, it is something that you must constantly be thinking about or youll start slipping. with that said, lets begin.

first off you should have atleast 3 fairly big meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner(atleast 2.5-3 hours before bed time). in between each one you should have a small snack which will also be counted as a meal meaning your eating atleast 6 times a day. The reasoning behind this is so that you do not starve your body in between meals kinda like what the average person does in the US today who doesnt eat well. They will have 2 maybe 3 large meals a day stretched atleast 4-5 hours apart causing your body to build up fat because it knows that its not going to get a meal for a few more hours. By feeding your body every 2-3.5 hours your body doesnt need to store fat up because your feeding it good calories.

so breakfast should be your biggest meal because you havent eatin for atleast 7-9 hours and your body is in a catabolic state meaning it has already fed off of what was remaining in your body after your last meal/snack and now is breaking down muscle. you got the egg part right but a no no on the ham and minus 1 egg yolk.

this is an example of what i eat from breakfast to bedtime snack and do some research and tweak as you please to fit your self because everyone is different

Wake up 1 scoop whey with water
    30-60min later eating real food
    1 whole egg 3 egg whites scrambled with olive oil
    1/2-3/4 of a cup of mushrooms sauteed with minced garlic and olive oil
    1 slice whole grain bread toasted with peanut butter
    1 serving greek yogurt

2-3 hours later you can do a protein bar, your nutrigrain bar, or a serving of yogurt or low fat cottage cheese.
    along with a piece of fruit

2-3 hours later you better have packed your lunch instead of what crap they serve at school.
    4-5oz meat: lean ground beef, salmon, tuna, chicken beast, turkey breast
    very lightly seasoned even eat it without if possible
    1-2 slice whole grain bread or 1 cup of fairly diced sweet potato boiled/steamed
    and a salad with low/fat free dressing with sunflower seeds

2-3 hours later same snack as first one

2-3- hours later dinner same choices as lunch

and 1.5-2 hours or so later atleast 1 hour before bed time have a serving of either low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt with 7 whole or 14 half walnuts
    i also do a scoop of whey along with this with water

now this maybe not be right for you but its an example of what an everage diet should look like eating 2-3.5 hours with snacks and whole meals. im 5'8 ish and weigh 145-151lbs and coming from 2-3 large meals to eating like this i was surprised at home much more food i was eating but it was not causing me to gain weight. that is because my body doesnt need to store fat to burn while its waiting for another meal anymore. ill add an extra protein shake before and after lifting as well.

this meal plan that i follow is about 2300cals give or take 4-600 cals depending on if im lifting or working out and such. im not a nutritionist or have any certifications, all i have is experience. you should always consult your doctor, nutritionist and parents before trying to drastically change your diet. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
      its awesome that your trying to start out at a young age but i will tell you this now that eating healthy is a lifestyle not something you want to do because its good for you. until you have lived this way for quite some time or know someone that can teach you all you need to know, it is something that you must constantly be thinking about or youll start slipping. with that said, lets begin.

first off you should have atleast 3 fairly big meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner(atleast 2.5-3 hours before bed time). in between each one you should have a small snack which will also be counted as a meal meaning your eating atleast 6 times a day. The reasoning behind this is so that you do not starve your body in between meals kinda like what the average person does in the US today who doesnt eat well. They will have 2 maybe 3 large meals a day stretched atleast 4-5 hours apart causing your body to build up fat because it knows that its not going to get a meal for a few more hours. By feeding your body every 2-3.5 hours your body doesnt need to store fat up because your feeding it good calories.

so breakfast should be your biggest meal because you havent eatin for atleast 7-9 hours and your body is in a catabolic state meaning it has already fed off of what was remaining in your body after your last meal/snack and now is breaking down muscle. you got the egg part right but a no no on the ham and minus 1 egg yolk.

this is an example of what i eat from breakfast to bedtime snack and do some research and tweak as you please to fit your self because everyone is different

Wake up 1 scoop whey with water
      30-60min later eating real food
      1 whole egg 3 egg whites scrambled with olive oil
      1/2-3/4 of a cup of mushrooms sauteed with minced garlic and olive oil
      1 slice whole grain bread toasted with peanut butter
      1 serving greek yogurt

2-3 hours later you can do a protein bar, your nutrigrain bar, or a serving of yogurt or low fat cottage cheese.
      along with a piece of fruit

2-3 hours later you better have packed your lunch instead of what crap they serve at school.
      4-5oz meat: lean ground beef, salmon, tuna, chicken beast, turkey breast
      very lightly seasoned even eat it without if possible
      1-2 slice whole grain bread or 1 cup of fairly diced sweet potato boiled/steamed
      and a salad with low/fat free dressing with sunflower see
      ds

2-3 hours later same snack as first one

2-3- hours later dinner same choices as lunch

and 1.5-2 hours or so later atleast 1 hour before bed time have a serving of either low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt with 7 whole or 14 half walnuts
      i also do a scoop of whey along with this with water

now this maybe not be right for you but its an example of what an everage diet should look like eating 2-3.5 hours with snacks and whole meals. im 5'8 ish and weigh 145-151lbs and coming from 2-3 large meals to eating like this i was surprised at home much more food i was eating but it was not causing me to gain weight. that is because my body doesnt need to store fat to burn while its waiting for another meal anymore. ill add an extra protein shake before and after lifting as well.

this meal plan that i follow is about 2300cals give or take 4-600 cals depending on if im lifting or working out and such. im not a nutritionist or have any certifications, all i have is experience. you should always consult your doctor, nutritionist and parents before trying to drastically change your diet. good luck.
      That's ridiculous. He's a kid at school, he doesn't have time to be making these elaborate meals and such. Give him a realistic diet plan.

Comment

Just start going to the gym now. Don't worry about losing weight and dieting so you can start boxing training. Nothing will get you into boxing shape faster than actually boxing.

You're only 15 so your body is still growing so you don't want to be restricting calories too much. Cut out as much of the pop, candy and junk foods that you can. If you're like most 15 year olds you probably eat alot so that will help you out quite a bit right there.

For your meals just stick to lean meats lots of fruits and veggies, you said you're hispanic so you proabably eat a lot of beans and rice and they are good too. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
        Last edited by ScottDBA; 03-15-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks g0tcha for taking your time to type up that super reply. It all seems good except, like other said, I don't really have the time to make most of that stuff. I'm still taking most of your tips, though! Like eating every 2-3 hours and stuff.

ScottDBA, thanks dude. Right now I'm trying to find a boxing gym closer to where I live. I live in Orlando and the closest one I know of is about 30 minutes away from where I live. And I've also eliminated all soda, candy, and junkfood from my diet. If I have cravings for a sweet I usually go with a Nutri-Grain bar.

Also, I heard about drinking a protein shake with breakfast. Is this a good idea? :/

Btw, I'm 6"1' and 160.5lbs.
          Last edited by Rabiaa; 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Protein is what your body uses to rebuild muscle after they've been broken down from training. So it's best to take a protein shake right after your training, to get it to your muscles as quick as possible, but having it at breakfast is good too.

Comment

Working...
            X