Oba Carr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oba Carr

Whats's your take on him?

Fought Tito Trinidad for the IBF 147lb title when he was 22. Early on caused Tito some problems and even dropped him. But evetually got worn down.

He seemed a very skilled operator and knew his way round the ring. He got 3 world title shots but lost them all. He did manage to take a prime Ike Quartey to a Majority Decision do.

He also beat Livingstone Bramble, Derrell Coley, Anthony Jones, Frankie Randall & Luis Ramon Campas.

Liked Oba. He was the first guy to take Quartey 12 rounds in his championship reign. Good and underated boxer. He started young and finished early tho, he was 30 when he retired.

Comment

A very good but not great fighter......I liked watching his fights. He might just slip into my "near great" catagory.

Poet
      Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        A very good but not great fighter......liked watching his fights. He might just slip into my "near great" catagory.

Poet
        He had the misfortune of being in a very good welterweight era. Had he have come along on the mid 2000's till now, I have no doubt he would have grabbed a paper title.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          He had the misfortune of being in a very good welterweight era. Had he have come along on the mid 2000's till now, I have no doubt he would have grabbed a paper title.
          Yeah that's a good point. Carr was in a extremly packed WW division while in his prime years. You had Trinidad, De La Hoya, Quartey, Whitaker, McGirt Mosley, Forrest aswell as a few other good names.

Were over the last few years and even in todays division guys like Jan Zaveck, Carlos Baldomir, Isaac Hlatshwayo, Vyacheslav Senchenko, Carlos Quintana, have all held or currently hold world title straps at 147lb. All fighters who Carr most likely beats.

Comment

I agree with the description "very good". But I will add that when I saw him as a prospect I thought he would be an excellent champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Mongoose View Post
              Whats's your take on him?

Fought Tito Trinidad for the IBF 147lb title when he was 22. Early on caused Tito some problems and even dropped him. But evetually got worn down.

He seemed a very skilled operator and knew his way round the ring. He got 3 world title shots but lost them all. He did manage to take a prime Ike Quartey to a Majority Decision do.

He also beat Livingstone Bramble, Derrell Coley, Anthony Jones, Frankie Randall & Luis Ramon Campas.
              Definitely should not have been a majority decision against Ike as Oba got battered from pillar to post. But that was his peak IMO. Seemed to slow down after that bout. Carr was a very, very solid fighter - the kind of boxer that's missing today. Would've held the title in this era. Could even see him beating a prime Cotto for instance.

Comment

Working...
              X