Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good guides/e-books out there on the peekaboo guard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good guides/e-books out there on the peekaboo guard?

I am considering incorporating it into my defensive package, at least at close range, but don't have anyone in the gym who can really teach it. Is there any good guide to it out there?

I've been watching a lot of Floyd Patterson fights and studying him, but I often learn well by reading.

You're better off browsing google.

Peekaboo can really be detrimental for a fighter too, and generally every boxer that's used it has had a lightning short prime. Basically when guys get good in Peekaboo they tend to feel invulnerable to jabs, then they go up against a guy who has a serious jab, like a weapon, a serious weapon they can land at will, and then the Peekaboo falls apart.

Essentially, the peekaboo assumes you will have proper mangement, and won't be put in front of a man who has thrown thousands of jabs standing in front of a mirror so you won't see it coming. because when you finally do fight or spar someone with a really good jab, you will not see it coming. You will experience no visual excluding the jolt you receive, that is how a good jab is meant to be. Faster than the eye.

if I was shorter, I'd look at Abraham's guard. Look how he never hardly ever gets hurt. He conserves alot of energy with that style of fighting too.

Comment

close range, I use a horizontal guard,(george foreman used it) my body is unprotected but it works, because people who aren't used to fighting you see how you give em the body, then they unload on your body and you're anticipating it, and when you see them throw that weight to their power side just unload upstairs, because you know the guy's aiming downstairs. When my guard is up and tight, I cannot be hit flush on any vital point on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteous View Post
        close range, I use a horizontal guard,(george foreman used it) my body is unprotected but it works, because people who aren't used to fighting you see how you give em the body, then they unload on your body and you're anticipating it, and when you see them throw that weight to their power side just unload upstairs, because you know the guy's aiming downstairs. When my guard is up and tight, I cannot be hit flush on any vital point on the head.
        that sounds cool.. what would be a good fight to watch to learn that?

Comment

if I was shorter, I'd look at Abraham's guard. Look how he never hardly ever gets hurt. He conserves alot of energy with that style of fighting too.
          Just to clarify there are no fighters out there who successfully use Cus's Peekaboo. Abraham, Winky, Cotto, and Clottey are perfect examples of people who use the HIGH guard and people constantly swear it's the peekaboo. It's simply a HIGH guard. There is no one using the peekaboo right now. The only fighter that comes close to the movement and hand placement at this time doesnt even use this style exclusively. He uses it when he's up close. That being Vasyl Lomachenko. And I disagree with jabs can stop a peekaboo fighter. Sure it can, if the fighter sticks exclusively to it and does not use it at the appropriate time. If you really want to learn how to use it, watch A LOT of videos and study and try to memorize the style and shadow box like crazy so it becomes second nature. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHuracan View Post
            Just to clarify there are no fighters out there who successfully use Cus's Peekaboo. Abraham, Winky, Cotto, and Clottey are perfect examples of people who use the HIGH guard and people constantly swear it's the peekaboo. It's simply a HIGH guard. There is no one using the peekaboo right now. The only fighter that comes close to the movement and hand placement at this time doesnt even use this style exclusively. He uses it when he's up close. That being Vasyl Lomachenko. And I disagree with jabs can stop a peekaboo fighter. Sure it can, if the fighter sticks exclusively to it and does not use it at the appropriate time. If you really want to learn how to use it, watch A LOT of videos and study and try to memorize the style and shadow box like crazy so it becomes second nature. Hope this helps.

One of my pet peeves is when Jim Lampley says someone using the high guard or earmuffs is the peekaboo. Why someone doesn't correct him, I have no idea.
            Last edited by Don Flamenco; 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Jesus that pisses me off whenever I hear a commentator say peekaboo AARRRGGGHHH drives me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by elhuracan View Post
                just to clarify there are no fighters out there who successfully use cus's peekaboo. Abraham, winky, cotto, and clottey are perfect examples of people who use the high guard and people constantly swear it's the peekaboo. It's simply a high guard. There is no one using the peekaboo right now. The only fighter that comes close to the movement and hand placement at this time doesnt even use this style exclusively. He uses it when he's up close. That being vasyl lomachenko. And i disagree with jabs can stop a peekaboo fighter. Sure it can, if the fighter sticks exclusively to it and does not use it at the appropriate time. If you really want to learn how to use it, watch a lot of videos and study and try to memorize the style and shadow box like crazy so it becomes second nature. Hope this helps.
                great ****ing post.

Comment

come to catskill if u really want to. kevin's here among other trainers, plenty of amateurs in the gym and a few pro's here and there.

Comment

cusd'amatokid, you should tell him to write a book or something!

Comment

Working...
                    X