No announcement yet.

Tyson vs Douglas - One of the ATG Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson vs Douglas - One of the ATG Fights

on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan, Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson defended his title against James`Buster`Douglas in a fight which turned out to be one of the greatest fights in heavyweight history.. Douglas was in tremendous physical shape and put on a A+ performance worthy of any great champion, jabbing & moving while letting fly with thunderous right-hand bombs.. Mike Tyson strong, brave & incredibly tough, soaked up the punches and hung in there as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds, this fight had tears, controversy & joy it had everything and was as good as any heavyweight fight in history...
    1/. How many champions could have beat Douglas on this night
    2/. How many champions could have taken the punches Tyson took on this night

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan, Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson defended his title against James`Buster`Douglas in a fight which turned out to be one of the greatest fights in heavyweight history.. Douglas was in tremendous physical shape and put on a A+ performance worthy of any great champion, jabbing & moving while letting fly with thunderous right-hand bombs.. Mike Tyson strong, brave & incredibly tough, soaked up the punches and hung in there as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds, this fight had tears, controversy & joy it had everything and was as good as any heavyweight fight in history...
    1/. How many champions could have beat Douglas on this night
    2/. How many champions could have taken the punches Tyson took on this night
    Just about every former champion could have put forth a better effort than Tyson did.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Just about every former champion could have put forth a better effort than Tyson did.
      a pure hater... did Mike f*** your moma in the a** or something

Comment

These anti-Tyson people live some very sad lives, as evidenced in your previous thread, Sonny Boy. One thing was for sure, Buster Douglas was in his absolute prime that night. Mike was two years out of his prime on the other hand. Either way, you have to give credit to Buster. A hell of a performance on his part.

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
          These anti-Tyson people live some very sad lives, as evidenced in your previous thread, Sonny Boy. One thing was for sure, Buster Douglas was in his absolute prime that night. Mike was two years out of his prime on the other hand. Either way, you have to give credit to Buster. A hell of a performance on his part.
          Two years out of his prime LOL. He must have some genetic condition where he ages twice as fast as normal people, 'cause most folks are perfectly fine at age 23.

Comment

Two years out of his prime LOL. He must have some genetic condition where he ages twice as fast as normal people, 'cause most folks are perfectly fine at age 23.
            You must live somewhere special because most 23 year olds I know couldn't put one round into a boxing match, yet alone the ones who had the problems Mike had at the time. As you may see, I listed reasons here but you failed to respond to them or even take note of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
              You must live somewhere special because most 23 year olds I know couldn't put one round into a boxing match, yet alone the ones who had the problems Mike had at the time. As you may see, I listed reasons here but you failed to respond to them or even take note of them.
              That's because champions overcome difficulties. There are plenty of fighters who had far worse things in their lives than Tyson, and didn't fold up like he did. Douglas' mom died, for goodness sake, and he showed up prepared. Tyson had some adversity, mostly business-related, and used that as an excuse to prepare inadequately. I've never known a 23-year-old without a debilitating disease/injury who wasn't capable of athletic improvement.

Ali at 38 was "past his prime". He had been in the ring too long, taken too many shots, and was too old.

Tyson had only fought 126 rounds at the time he faced Douglas.

One was truly past his prime, the other was simply lazy. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

Comment

That's because champions overcome difficulties. There are plenty of fighters who had far worse things in their lives than Tyson, and didn't fold up like he did. Douglas' mom died, for goodness sake, and he showed up prepared. Tyson had some adversity, mostly business-related, and used that as an excuse to prepare inadequately. I've never known a 23-year-old without a debilitating disease/injury who wasn't capable of athletic improvement.

Ali at 38 was "past his prime". He had been in the ring too long, taken too many shots, and was too old.

Tyson had only fought 126 rounds at the time he faced Douglas.

One was truly past his prime, the other was simply lazy. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.
                So by this post you are clarifying that you realize and admit to (contrary to your previous statement in the other thread) that Mike Tyson was indeed out of his prime for his fight with Buster Douglas, correct?

I guess I'll have to bring up my ham sandwich theory again. If you (Mike Tyson) have a ham sandwich (your prime), and for whatever reason Don King comes and takes the lettuce off of it, bad influence people took the cheese off of it, Robin Givens and her mom came and took the tomatoes off of it, the death of your only true friends and mentors, etc. takes the ham off of it, and then you choose to throw the bread away (for whatever reason, being lazy, being immature, etc.) - Does that mean that you never had that sandwich to begin with? Does it mean you still have it? No. Mike Tyson (for the reasons I listed previously, including acts by Tyson's self) did not have his sandwich (prime) when he was fighting Buster Douglas. He had been on an immediate decline since firing Kevin Rooney after the Spinks fight.

Here. You obviously have some kind of learning disorder and I have exhausted all other effort to get you to understand, so here's a multi-part video shedding some light on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzGANiYro0

Comment

This is probably the most thrilling fight I ever saw live. It was like the evil school bully getting his butt kicked by the most unlikely nerd.

Tyson was ill prepared for this fight like he had been since splitting from Rooney and his life was in shambles with Robin Givens leaving etc. Douglas on the other hand gave a career performance. It was the first Tyson faced an opponent who wasn't intimidated before the first bell.

As for your questions well who knows. Douglas came up with the perfect gameplan and he executed splendidly. The Douglas of that night would give many champions trouble that's for sure.

And Tyson did take a helluva beating. Tyson himself was undefeated and he no doubt felt invinceable. Again who knows who could take as much as Tyson did? He did take about as much as Foreman did against Ali but probably less than Willard took in 3 rounds against Dempsey. So off the top of my head I'd say that the following could take as much as Tyson did that night in Tokyo:

Jeffries
                  Willard
                  Louis (think of Schmeling I)
                  Marciano
                  Ali
                  Frazier
                  Foreman
                  Vitali
                  and maybe Holmes.

Comment

Great that alot of us were watching boxing then.

On the fight, Douglas did turn a masterful performance but I feel and felt before the fight that Tyson was in a downhill spiral. So not negating Douglas' championship performance, I feel he was in the right place at the right time. Not a big deal was made of the sparring session in which Greg Page floored Tyson before the fight as nearly all of us figured Tyson would still take out Buster in Tokoyo. But Tyson's problems were a on going thing. The drama from his failed marriage to Robin(and her mom), the Don King motivated firing of long time trainer Rooney. And even Tyson's own dealings with depression.

Douglas took full advantage of the situation and rose to the occasion but on that night was fortunate he was not fighting the machine Tyson was in 1986-88.

Comment

Working...
                    X