No announcement yet.

Which Next Gen console to get?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Next Gen console to get?

Which system? If you're getting more than one, vote as if you could only choose one.

Assume they all come out at the same time and all cost the same amount of money. Which system do you think will be the best?
    Nintendo Revolution
    15.15%
    Playstation 3
    66.67%
    Xbox360
    18.18%
    Last edited by masterdirector; 11-08-2005, 01:31 AM.

I think that its a toss-up again between X-Box and P3. I'll go with the P3 but I think nintendo is done as a major force in terms of consules.

Comment

I'm going with the PS3 mainly because PS3 will have the Blu-Ray technology while Xbox360 won't even have HD DVD or Blu-Ray. And I expect Blu-Ray to win the war this time, like how VHS beat Sony's Betamax back in the 80s. Sony learned from their mistakes and will win this time, I think.

The Betamax was a superior machine to the VHS VCRs, but Sony wanted to distribute everything, so they ****ed up. They got greedy, thinking they'd be the only distributors in the world (remember, this was when VCRs were new, nothing in home to watch movies on, except TV movies), and everyone bought the cheaper, yet inferior, VHS players.

VHS also had 6 hour recordable tapes, later 8 and even 10 hour tapes, while the most you could get on a Betamax tape was 60-80 minutes. Not even a full movie. I think this was because of movie piracy concerns, but still a stupid move.

As far as the Next Gen consoles, I expect the PS3 to run away big time in a year or two, leaving the XBox 360 in the dust. But, the 360 can still keep a good enough market because they'll be able to offer a cheaper console and games. They'll have a price drop on their system before the PS3, and its likely that the 360 will always be less expensive while its in retail stores.

I won't even bother with buying an Xbox360.

Nintendo Revolution, that controller looks gay. I'll have to try it out in the stores before I even give that system a chance. If I got one, I'd have to get a 3rd party controller that does't look like a TV remote control. The big appeal of that system to me right now is that they'll offer basically the entire NES and SNES library. It'd be nice to play Punch Out or Double Dragon 2 without having to blow into the games each time to get them to work.

Comment

xbo360 is gonna have killer graphics

Comment

ps3 is gonna dominate

Comment

i played the xbox 360 at wal-mart it was pretty cool. and i know its not out yet. they had it for demo play for some odd reason

Comment

Originally posted by NextRocky
              xbo360 is gonna have killer graphics
              I'm willing to bet PS3 will have AT LEAST equal graphics this time, if not better. I'm sure this will be a big debate. No doubt that the Xbox clearly had better graphics. Which, they should have. They were the computer company with easier access than Sony in the way of good graphics cards.

They're claiming that the PS3 could be capable of 120 fps, which is sort of moot right now because no TV can run that fast, but that shows they'll be up to par, at least, with graphics.

PS3 using Blu-Ray technology and that impressive Cell chip will have an advantage, I think, on loading times, and eventually game depth.

Take GTA: SA. On Blu-Ray, they could easily fit something 5-6 times the size of that on a disc, with room to spare. Xbox360 will not be able to do that. They'll only be able to equal the space of GTA: SA on the standard DVD format.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't adopt the HD DVD format for the Xbox360. Microsoft has backed Toshiba's format for future Windows Based PCs, but not for their own game console. And they won't be able to just upload firmware updates to allow for HD DVD because its a completely different laser that reads it.

Comment

but xbox has an harddrive. u can do all kinds of mod **** with that like they did with the first 1. and those grafics when i was playing r going to be hard to beat

Comment

Originally posted by mystyal2k5
                  but xbox has an harddrive. u can do all kinds of mod **** with that like they did with the first 1. and those grafics when i was playing r going to be hard to beat
                  yeah I like the fact that it has a hard drive. The PS3 will offer a detachable hard drive this time actually.

Here's the PS3 specs:

Originally posted by PS3 Specs
                  CPU: Cell Processor
                  PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
                  1 VMX vector unit per core
                  512KB L2 cache
                  7 x SPE @3.2GHz
                  7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
                  7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
                  * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for edundancy
                  total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz
                  1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
                  Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
                  Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:
                  256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
                  256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:
                  Main RAM 25.6GB/s
                  VRAM: 22.4GB/s
                  RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
                  SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage: HDD - Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O: USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
                  SD: standard/mini x 1
                  CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet - 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:
                  Bluetooth (up to 7)
                  USB2.0 (wired)
                  Wi-Fi (PSP)
                  Network (over IP)

AV Output
                  Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
                  HDMI: HDMI out x 2
                  Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
                  Digital audio DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media: CD, PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side), PlayStation2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Here's the Xbox360 specs:
                  http://hardware.teamxbox.com/article...ifications/p1/

I wanted to list them here, but trying to copy that thing was near impossible. Someone could attach it to where its viewable. I don't know how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by masterdirector
                    yeah I like the fact that it has a hard drive. The PS3 will offer a detachable hard drive this time actually.

Here's the PS3 specs:

Here's the Xbox360 specs:
                    http://hardware.teamxbox.com/article...ifications/p1/

I wanted to list them here, but trying to copy that thing was near impossible. Someone could attach it to where its viewable. I don't know how to do that.

i wonder is there a site thqat can compare then better side to side and

Comment

Working...
                    X