Alex Ariza: Pullups not functional for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Ariza: Pullups not functional for boxing

Alex Ariza ‏ @ArizaFitness
    Not functional 4 Boxing, MMA yes... RT @nechymorales: @ArizaFitness @omarjthegreat Wait, pull ups good or bad for boxing (speed)?

Saw this earlier on his twitter... Weird I never really figured pull ups could be considered not functional for any sport to be honest. I'm gonna keep doing them anyway ahah.

Just wanted to share this after I saw it... thoughts?

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
    Alex Ariza ‏ @ArizaFitness
    Not functional 4 Boxing, MMA yes... RT @nechymorales: @ArizaFitness @omarjthegreat Wait, pull ups good or bad for boxing (speed)?

Saw this earlier on his twitter... Weird I never really figured pull ups could be considered not functional for any sport to be honest. I'm gonna keep doing them anyway ahah.

Just wanted to share this after I saw it... thoughts?
    lol i do them every day and not gonna stop

Comment

I love a good pull up. Take more than that to stop me doing them

Comment

I mean, I can't really say I have the right to disagree with one of the best strength and conditioning coaches for boxing. . . You need to have a strong back and lats for boxing - whenever you pull back your punches to your guard position, the stronger your back, the quicker you'll be able to transition punches, and more endurance to keep your guard up, and held tight. . . Not to mention, the WIDER your lats, the longer you'll be able to extend your jab, and lead straight punch. . . Do this: hold your jab straight out, and then twist into it extending your back. . .

For every pushup you do, you should do a pullup, or maybe a 2:1 ratio of pushups to pullups. . . I wouldn't get into doing weighed pullups, because that would encourage slow-twitch muscles, and unnecessary bulk/mass. . .

I just do my 3-4 sets once a week along with 3-4 sets of bent-over rows with VERY light weight. . . For my rows, I'll just use my 25 pound dumbbells, squat over to where my chest is parallel to the ground, and do 40-50 reps as fast as possible in my "punching motion". . .

Comment

totally disagree. pullups are functional for any sport that is basically a proven fact from what I understand. how can strengthening the 2nd biggest muscle in your body not be good for any sport?

I dont put much stock in ariza anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
            I mean, I can't really say I have the right to disagree with one of the best strength and conditioning coaches for boxing. . . You need to have a strong back and lats for boxing - whenever you pull back your punches to your guard position, the stronger your back, the quicker you'll be able to transition punches, and more endurance to keep your guard up, and held tight. . . Not to mention, the WIDER your lats, the longer you'll be able to extend your jab, and lead straight punch. . . Do this: hold your jab straight out, and then twist into it extending your back. . .

For every pushup you do, you should do a pullup, or maybe a 2:1 ratio of pushups to pullups. . . I wouldn't get into doing weighed pullups, because that would encourage slow-twitch muscles, and unnecessary bulk/mass. . .

I just do my 3-4 sets once a week along with 3-4 sets of bent-over rows with VERY light weight. . . For my rows, I'll just use my 25 pound dumbbells, squat over to where my chest is parallel to the ground, and do 40-50 reps as fast as possible in my "punching motion". . .
            You got it all wrong man that would build fast-twitch muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
              You got it all wrong man that would build fast-twitch muscles.
              not really. . unless you're strong and do them fast. .

i guess i should have clarified - i was assuming that it would be dificult to do them, so you wouldn't be able to explode through. .

either way, it wouldn't be good for boxing because you don't want excess mass on your back. . .
              Last edited by UglyPug; 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

i was wrong in principle, though - got my fibers mixed up. . . thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

yeah they say that about any overhead pressing too because it goes against the natural movement of a punch. probably true that there not "functional" but there still great all around for boxing you would want to do things that follow the movement of a punch like dumbell rows for back. i find it hard to believe chin ups would be a negative though i dont know if hes saying that. read mackie shilstones books he knows alot about it

Comment

I disagree with Alex Arizas opinion............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X