Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunney's all time heanyweight ranking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunney's all time heanyweight ranking?

I found this ridiculous list on another site and it got me to thinking about where Gene Tunney should really rank amongst the heavyweight greats.

1/. Muhammad Ali
    2/. Jack Dempsey
    3/. Joe Louis
    4/. George Foreman
    5/. Jack Johnson
    6/. Joe Frazier
    7/. Gene Tunney
    8/. Sonny Liston
    9/. Rocky Marciano
    10/. Mike Tyson

Besides beating a 3 year inactive Jack Dempsey, the fighting marine beat no one really noteworthy of such lofty status at heavyweight to be ranked above Liston, Marciano, Tyson, Lewis or even Ezzard Charles for that matter. Based on accomplishment at heavyweight I don't think Tunney makes the top 20. Opinions?

I totally agree with that. I don't really think to kindly when I see him around the top 10. He should have lost that 2nd dempsey fight hands down. He got knocked out.

I actually dont think that's the craziest list Ive ever seen list. Definitely seen way worst haha It's not too crazy. Maybe switch a few of the names around, maybe add a person or 2. I mean Tyson shouldn't be there yet maybe Frazier at best be mentioned possibly fighting for the last spot or 2.

I think Ali's is the greatest Heavyweight ever. With Joe Louis a damn close 2nd. Then probably Dempsey. Thats my top 3 atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
      I totally agree with that. I don't really think to kindly when I see him around the top 10. He should have lost that 2nd dempsey fight hands down. He got knocked out.

I actually dont think that's the craziest list Ive ever seen list. Definitely seen way worst haha It's not too crazy. Maybe switch a few of the names around, maybe add a person or 2. I mean Tyson shouldn't be there yet maybe Frazier at best be mentioned possibly fighting for the last spot or 2.

I think Ali's is the greatest Heavyweight ever. With Joe Louis a damn close 2nd. Then probably Dempsey. Thats my top 3 atleast.
      Tunney and Dempsey are WAY to high. Dempsey ducked his two biggest challenges. How the hell can he rank above Joe Louis? Ludicrous.

Larry Holmes should be in there. Holyfeild and Lewis to, in my opinion.

I would also put Norton, Patterson, Schmeling, Jeffries, Walcott, Baer, Langford, Wills and maybe even (can't believe Im going to actually say it) Wlad above him at heavyweight, and maybe others

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Tunney and Dempsey are WAY to high. Dempsey ducked his two biggest challenges. How the hell can he rank above Joe Louis? Ludicrous.

Larry Holmes should be in there. Holyfeild and Lewis to, in my opinion.

I would also put Norton, Patterson, Schmeling, Jeffries, Walcott, Baer, Langford, Wills and maybe even (can't believe Im going to actually say it) Wlad above him at heavyweight, and maybe others
        Holy ***** man hahaha I might actually put Vital in front of Wlad because he did fight Lewis and took him to war. Losses too Bryd & Lewis I don't think are as bad then losses to Sanders, Brewster, and Purrity. But I don't know if I'd put them that high yet haha

I agree with Holmes and Holyfield. Holyfield damn near fought everybody across a few decades haha. Ken Norton definitely don't ever get no love even though he was a nightmare for boxers. Just them damn heavy hitters that got to him.

Comment

I don't rate tunney at HW

1. Joe Louis
          2. Muhammad Ali
          3. Jack Johnson
          4. Jack Dempsey
          5. George Foreman
          6. Joe Frazier
          7. Sonny Liston
          8. Rocky Marciano
          9. Larry Holmes
          10. Mike Tyson
          11. Evander Holyfield
          12. Ezzard Charles
          13. Lennox Lewis
          14. Floyd Patterson
          15. Max Baer
          16. James Jeffries
          17. Gentleman Jim Corbett
          18. Max Schmeling
          19. Jersey Joe Walcott
          20. Bowe/Fitzimmons

I don't think Tunney makes it. Very good LHW though

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
            I don't rate tunney at HW

1. Joe Louis
            2. Muhammad Ali
            3. Jack Johnson
            4. Jack Dempsey
            5. George Foreman
            6. Joe Frazier
            7. Sonny Liston
            8. Rocky Marciano
            9. Larry Holmes
            10. Mike Tyson
            11. Evander Holyfield
            12. Ezzard Charles
            13. Lennox Lewis
            14. Floyd Patterson
            15. Max Baer
            16. James Jeffries
            17. Gentleman Jim Corbett
            18. Max Schmeling
            19. Jersey Joe Walcott
            20. Bowe/Fitzimmons

I don't think Tunney makes it. Very good LHW though
            He was a tremendous light heavyweight, but his accomplishments and lack of longevity at heavyweight prevent him from being anywhere near the top in my opinion.

Comment

He was a tremendous light heavyweight, but his accomplishments and lack of longevity at heavyweight prevent him from being anywhere near the top in my opinion.
              That's reasonable. You can make a decent case for Tunney beating some of the others on the list, but his record at heavyweight is too sparse to rate him there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                That's reasonable. You can make a decent case for Tunney beating some of the others on the list, but his record at heavyweight is too sparse to rate him there.
                Whats your opinion of Dempsey being ranked #2?

Comment

Whats your opinion of Dempsey being ranked #2?
                  Like many others, I have Ali and Louis in the top two spots. I can be a lot more flexible after that.

Comment

It makes about as much sense as ranking Roy Jones there. Tunney had what, maybe a half a dozen fights at Heavyweight out of a 60+ fight career? It just doesn't make any sense. I guess there's too much of a "once a Heavyweight always a Heavyweight" kind of mentality but hell, you see some of our weight jumpers of recent vintage like De La Hoya and Mosley getting ranked at weights where they stopped for a couple of fights at best.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X