Where to watch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to watch

Hi

I am new here, and rather new to boxing. Want to say hello to everybody. Started boxing for pleasure one year ago and earlyer practiced in Judo for 5 years. During Judo fight I watched the body of my oponent, his legs, his arms, his stance, how he moves, how he holds the balance of his body, but hardly ever I watched his head. And I noticed that I do the same during the boxing sparring, which is probably wrong habit. I saw in some book or video of Bas Ruten (MMA fighter) that he suggest to keep eye contact, and also I noticed during sparring that one skilled boxer also "stare" straight at my eyes. So where have I to concentrate my attention?

eyes, shoulders

I have the same problem some times that i focus on the hips and legs. (use to kickbox) and yeah sometimes you get hit on the head haha. You probably think the guy is going to take you down?!

Comment

Originally posted by Edvo View Post
      Hi

I am new here, and rather new to boxing. Want to say hello to everybody. Started boxing for pleasure one year ago and earlyer practiced in Judo for 5 years. During Judo fight I watched the body of my oponent, his legs, his arms, his stance, how he moves, how he holds the balance of his body, but hardly ever I watched his head. And I noticed that I do the same during the boxing sparring, which is probably wrong habit. I saw in some book or video of Bas Ruten (MMA fighter) that he suggest to keep eye contact, and also I noticed during sparring that one skilled boxer also "stare" straight at my eyes. So where have I to concentrate my attention?
      Welcome!

When I box, I like to concentrate right at the chin. From there you can watch all angles. Chin is also the sweet spot: you have to see the spot, to hit the spot. I usually suggest to not look "directly" in their eyes. .... a lot of people make weird faces and it tends to throw you off

Comment

i dont see so much of a prob here. its good that ur using judo habits. just go along with what ur used to and apply it to boxing even the bit where u said about watchin the legs.

most people will think 'wtf am i on about now u barely use legs in boxing' but if u can read his footwork and know what stance he'll prefer to punch on and what stance he wont be so hastey to do so - u can figure out how to catch him off guard... when i box i read all body language but particularly arms, shoulders n head but i still watch what his feet are doin so i kno when to catch him.

just use what u have and somehow apply it to boxin like ive just shown ya.
        Last edited by kenny91; 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny91 View Post
          i dont see so much of a prob here. its good that ur using judo habits. just go along with what ur used to and apply it to boxing even the bit where u said about watchin the legs.

most people will think 'wtf am i on about now u barely use legs in boxing' but if u can read his footwork and know what stance he'll prefer to punch on and what stance he wont be so hastey to do so - u can figure out how to catch him off guard... when i box i read all body language but particularly arms, shoulders n head but i still watch what his feet are doin so i kno when to catch him.

just use what u have and somehow apply it to boxin like ive just shown ya.
          i think the upper chest area. I dont like watching the eyes for reasons you will find out in sparring and the truth is a guy cant do much to you without moving his upper torso in one direction or the other...

Comment

Look eye, Edvo San!

Comment

Hey, thanks everybody for replies! I will give a try on chin at first

Comment

Working...
              X