No announcement yet.

Question About Ranking Resumes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Ranking Resumes

Do you give someone like JMM credit for having Floyd Mayweather's name on his resume even though he was thoroughly schooled from rounds 1-12?

I always found it strange how people don't even take hardcore losses into account when talking about which fighters have the best resumes, people just go by whether you fought "everyone" or not.

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    Do you give someone like JMM credit for having Floyd Mayweather's name on his resume even though he was thoroughly schooled from rounds 1-12?

I always found it strange how people don't even take hardcore losses into account when talking about which fighters have the best resumes, people just go by whether you fought "everyone" or not.
    You can't discount losses but when your only losses are against the highest quality opposition then allowances can be made. Your example is JMM and his only clear loss in over a decade (since his losses to Pacquaio and Chris John were controversial are argueably undeserved) was the defeat you mentioned v Mayweather.

One heavy defeat against the finest boxer of his generation should not be too large a stain on his reputation.

Comment

I don't really take loss's into account personally.

When I say 'resume' I'm talking about their wins and who they have beaten.

Comment

its all about who you beat, how, and when.

I certainly dont give a fighter 'credit' for losing lopsidedly, but I dont really count it against them either unless its just really embarressing. fighters have their bad nights...but if they can still beat top competition, hell yes theyre still good. Freddie Pendleton comes to mind.

the only time I give a fighter credit for a loss is if they performed very well against high level competition, especially if they had a bunch of disadvantages going in. ie Azumah Nelson vs Sal Sanchez, Nelson lost but damn that was one hell of performance despite the things going against him going in.

Comment

Ofcourse losses should be taken into account but like wins, how and when is very important. If we didn't take losses into account Junior Jones then would be a greater fighter than JMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post

I certainly dont give a fighter 'credit' for losing lopsidedly, but I dont really count it against them either unless its just really embarressing. fighters have their bad nights...but if they can still beat top competition, hell yes theyre still good. Freddie Pendleton comes to mind.

the only time I give a fighter credit for a loss is if they performed very well against high level competition, especially if they had a bunch of disadvantages going in. ie Azumah Nelson vs Sal Sanchez, Nelson lost but damn that was one hell of performance despite the things going against him going in.
            I have a similar view.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post

Yes you have a point there, that fight aside (not familiar with the circumstances), I think hard core losses count AGAINST a resume, but of course each fight has a different set of coicumstances, which have to be considered.

Comment

Loses has do be taken into the equation.

Comment

Working...
                X