This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 yr old Fury vs 31 yr old Ali

- -31 yr old Fury vs 31 yr old Ali, both in their comebacks that they won.

*Disclaimer-Fury dwarfs Ali who was said in his day to be too big and strong for Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis.

Best Fury vs best Clay, or who cares, you chowder churl? Fury will not have such good balance getting his face spanked for nine rounds.

Comment

- -For the record, Ali busted his jaw vs Norton and then took a disputed decision in the rematch.

Fury took 47 stitches in an UD vs Wallin and then KOed Wilder.

Has 6 months before turning 32.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Best Fury vs best Clay, or who cares, you chowder churl? Fury will not have such good balance getting his face spanked for nine rounds.
        let's be honest, when you are watching two shirtless men bounce around getting sweaty we ALL know what's actually spanked. We just hope you don't run out of jurgens and kleenex.

Buy any fabulous shoes lately?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -31 yr old Fury vs 31 yr old Ali, both in their comebacks that they won.

*Disclaimer-Fury dwarfs Ali who was said in his day to be too big and strong for Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis.

P4P Fury is the closest we have to Dempsey.

Think about it: if Pep were a foot taller and twice his actual weight, he'd still be shorter and lighter than Fury. obviously, added size means diminished speed, coordination and stamina.

Ali isn't as talented as either. He was more coddled than Dempsey, and less refined than Dempsey. He also got his ass SHREDDED by Fraizer. There was nothing consensual about that. At his very best, Ali got it worse than a Weinstein victim... and didn't even get a movie deal out of it.

Dempsey and Fury never lost in their prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
            P4P Fury is the closest we have to Dempsey.

Think about it: if Pep were a foot taller and twice his actual weight, he'd still be shorter and lighter than Fury. obviously, added size means diminished speed, coordination and stamina.

Ali isn't as talented as either. He was more coddled than Dempsey, and less refined than Dempsey. He also got his ass SHREDDED by Fraizer. There was nothing consensual about that. At his very best, Ali got it worse than a Weinstein victim... and didn't even get a movie deal out of it.

Dempsey and Fury never lost in their prime.
            Ali never fought in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I'd say that.

if I needed a trump card.

Ali was never going to beat a prime Frazier. It's insulting to informed Boxing fans to even have to state that.

Ali of FOTC was a damn fine specimen. He still lost.

Even in the subsequent pairings a very diminished Frazier still gave Ali fits. It was Frazier, not Ali who suffered for fighting their series in the 70s, rather than the 60s. I don't know anyone respectable that disputes that.

The one caveat I'll add: had Frazier remained with Gil Clancy, rather than bed-hopping to Eddie Futch, he almost certainly wins the rematch. But again he really had no business fighting after whooping Terry Daniels. At the very least he should've continued fighting bums, and forced Ali and Foreman, in the meantime, to square off to determine #1 contender.
              Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                - -25 when he fought Terrell and Folley and 24 before that.

Generally the athletic prime starts at 23 and ends at 32, all dependent on injury toll.

When I was 25 pretty sure I could whip both Godzilla and King Kong on the same night.

You never had an athletic prime?

Comment

There was never a more protected HW than Ali. Fixes in his favor, judges giving him gift-wrapped decisions. He made a lot of money for the networks and promoters and no one was going to risk derailing the money train. Fury would not gas himself out by falling for the rope-a-dope tactic, and Ali would be without any of the height and reach advantage he had over most of his best wins. He was not a body puncher, and I can't see him working his way to the inside to get to Fury, which is really his only chance. Fighting from the outside it's Fury's night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                    I'd say that.

if I needed a trump card.

Ali was never going to beat a prime Frazier. It's insulting to informed Boxing fans to even have to state that.

Ali of FOTC was a damn fine specimen. He still lost.

Even in the subsequent pairings a very diminished Frazier still gave Ali fits. It was Frazier, not Ali who suffered for fighting their series in the 70s, rather than the 60s. I don't know anyone respectable that disputes that.

The one caveat I'll add: had Frazier remained with Gil Clancy, rather than bed-hopping to Eddie Futch, he almost certainly wins the rematch. But again he really had no business fighting after whooping Terry Daniels. At the very least he should've continued fighting bums, and forced Ali and Foreman, in the meantime, to square off to determine #1 contender.
                    Facts are facts... Interpret them anyway you want but when the government takes the best years away from a man, one owes the courtesy of not misspeaking on such an issue. Your opinion about Frazier and Ali is unique. Saying who was more diminished sort of cancels out the fact that two great fighters who were still plenty great fought a hell of a series...win lose or draw. I don't think we can measure diminishment that way here, but that is just me...kind of saying one one legged man is more one legged than another? maybe?

Comment

Working...
                    X