Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filipino Arts of Suntukan, Kali, Arnis and Eskrima....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobby No Sex View Post
    fabie nagtuturo ka ba?
    Dati po.....about 15 to 20 years ago. Pero ngayon, I am really obsessed with Tai Chi Chuan for the last 15 years (internal martial arts). But since this is a boxing thread, I brought up FMA....

Comment

daniel alpha nagtuturo ka ba ng FMA? kung oo, saan ka nagtuturo at magkano? may home service ka ba?
      No bobby, I am however, into practical shooting. Nagtuturo ako nito.

Comment

WTF we did not invent the YOYO???

lolz when i was a kid read it from a book also from nationally circulated newspaper and it just stuck never researched about it...

Sa totoo lang ang alam ko lang na Pinoy form of martial arts natin ay arnis, lately ko lang nabasa yung eskrima at kali ...

suntukan naman kala ko ordinaryo lang na basagan ng mukha, never knew there was an art for this...

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
          WTF we did not invent the YOYO???

lolz when i was a kid read it from a book also from nationally circulated newspaper and it just stuck never researched about it...

Sa totoo lang ang alam ko lang na Pinoy form of martial arts natin ay arnis, lately ko lang nabasa yung eskrima at kali ...

suntukan naman kala ko ordinaryo lang na basagan ng mukha, never knew there was an art for this...
          i think arnis, eskrima, kali are the same.

maybe slight differences but generally considered the same or close enough.

i think arnis is more north, spanish influence.

eskrima is more south.

kali is what americans like to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

eskrima is more south.

thanks for the clarification Tua ....

but still I can't get over yet that we did not invent the yoyo ... lolz

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
              Dati po.....about 15 to 20 years ago. Pero ngayon, I am really obsessed with Tai Chi Chuan for the last 15 years (internal martial arts). But since this is a boxing thread, I brought up FMA....

turuan mo kaya ako. magkano charge?

Originally posted by Daniel Alpha View Post
              No bobby, I am however, into practical shooting. Nagtuturo ako nito.
              sorry akala ko ikaw si fabie. nag fafiring din ako pero di pa ulit. matagal tgal na. di ako mahilig yung kapatid ko lang. pag pumutok ako post ako pics.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
                thanks for the clarification Tua ....

but still I can't get over yet that we did not invent the yoyo ... lolz
                i could be wrong but that's what i remember when i was thinking about taking up arnis. in luzon they call it arnis, visayas and mindanao they use escrima. they call it kali in mindanao too but in america it's more known as kali. over here most ppl call it kali, some escrima. i never heard anyone call it arnis in the states.

i seriously thought we invented the yoyo, i remember my teacher from don bosco telling us we invented the yoyo.

Comment

i could be wrong but that's what i remember when i was thinking about taking up arnis. in luzon they call it arnis, visayas and mindanao they use escrima. they call it kali in mindanao too but in america it's more known as kali. over here most ppl call it kali, some escrima. i never heard anyone call it arnis in the states.

i seriously thought we invented the yoyo, i remember my teacher from don bosco telling us we invented the yoyo.

will do some searching bro ...

Comment

turuan mo kaya ako. magkano charge?

sorry akala ko ikaw si fabie. nag fafiring din ako pero di pa ulit. matagal tgal na. di ako mahilig yung kapatid ko lang. pag pumutok ako post ako pics.
                    I'm here in Chicago....saan po kayo? hehehe.

On the side note, KALI is also a term from KALIS, which is a blade in the muslim term or moro term - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalis

The KRIS or KERIS...is also the KALIS, so in the southern Mindanao wherein it is really a blend of Borneo (or Brunei) culture of the muslim/moro is the source. Thus we can all safely say that the art of Kali, Escrima, Arnis, Suntukan, Sikaran...etc. are really derivative and evolved Indonesian and Malaysian arts of SILAT, which is also part of our culture.

Thus we as Filipinos are part of the Majapahit Empire that encompasses the Java, Malaysian, Indonesian, Filipino and some of the Micronesian cultures that are really BLADED culture.

Our open-arm or empty arm drill set which is the art of Filipino Boxing is from the bladed culture.

Comment

eskrima is more south.

Terms and names are largely geographical...but by in large are all very similar but different in their size and types of weaponries, training methods and etc. And yes the word, ARNIS was thought of as a corruption of the word ARMAS DE MANO and was shortened later (which was of course, Spanish).

Many of the Luzon types of Arnis were also "influenced" by the Spaniards' fencing and rapier fighting but we have our own indigenious ideosyncracies....our ESPADA Y DAGA, the FRAILE systems and some of the LARGO MANO systems are obviously influenced by name (Spanish) but it was really deeply rooted in our geographical cultures.

Comment

Working...
                      X