Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonito Donaire and The Number 7

By Jess Matthew Beltran (Correspondent) on September 27, 2010

Nonito after knocking out Darchinyan
    He was always part of the top ten fighters in boxing in fact Nonito Donaire Jr. is rated number 4 by “The Ring” as pound per pound boxer in the world. But somehow he was always associated by the number 7. Having won and made a name for himself when he fought the former undefeated knockout artist Vic Darchinyan in July 7, 2007 (7-7-7) and won in a stunning fashion by knocking Darchinyan out in the fifth round. But just as the dominoes are starting to fall everything seems to go on a different direction. Nonito’s career became stagnant after defending his belt against Luis Maldonado he was inactive for a year then fought unheralded fighters. Rafael Concepcion, Raul Martinez and Hernan Marquez may have etched a name of their own but at this part of Nonito’s career he should have been fighting Juan Alberto Rosas, Tomas Rojas, Hugo Cazares or move up to bantam weight and face Fernando Montiel or a rematch with Darchinyan. This is the only way Nonito stays on top and be the best.

It wasn’t his fault when other fighters avoided him because he is too good and too risky, but fighters always have the last say who he wants to fight because it’s always the fighter who goes in the ring and risks his life not the promoters. When Top rank prevented Nonito and Montiel in the proposed bantamweight tournament where all the heavy hitters are participating with the likes of Abner Mares, Vic Darchinyan, Yonnhy Perez and Joseph Agbeko it was another blow to Donaire’s career. At 27 years old that is where Nonito should belong and not fighting boxers who only look good in paper. This is the time Bob Arum should pit his price gem into the lion’s den and if he came out victorious then he is worthy of becoming one of the best boxer in the lower weight division. It’s time to put the stone through the toughest fire and see if it’s a diamond in the making. We can never see how good Nonito is if we don’t see him fight all the toughest and bad ass fighters on his division.

7 seem to be the number Nonito is stuck with. Aside from being 27 he will be fighting his seventh fight this December after knocking out Darchinyan, against unheralded Volodymyr Sydorenko.

Nonito deserves all the best fight available out there because he has been game about all the opponents Top rank has given him. Why not a Donaire-Montiel fight? If not for the bantamweight competition…

There is no purpose in building up Nonito’s name or fattening up his record because he has already a proven pound per pound fighter. Donaire needs a real fight because records are just numbers anyways just like the number “7″…

I agree, it's not nonito's fault that top caliber fighters are ducking him.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post

i think the beef between Donaire and Viloria's girls at PACLAND is more entertaining

Comment

did you read that manong?

pm me and tell me what it said.

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
          i think the beef between Donaire and Viloria's girls at PACLAND is more entertaining
          but nobody is admitting that they are who suppose to be they are, fun to read still.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

am I suppose to?

an article about always nonito talks about how he cannot get a fight because opponents are afraid to fight him

Comment

top rank pala may kasalanan kung bakit di natuloy laban ni nonito kay montiel? is this true?

Comment

but nobody is admitting that they are who suppose to be they are, fun to read still.

that **** ALWAYS cracks me up...it starts off with some anonymous user ragging on Donaire then twitter and facebook links are added and all hell breaks loose

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
                  that **** ALWAYS cracks me up...it starts off with some anonymous user ragging on Donaire then twitter and facebook links are added and all hell breaks loose
                  I remember that poster lusob who erap wants taking jabs at and who always criticize nonito every chance she/he has. I think LUSOB is the writer of this article.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post

Just read, it says nonito and 7 are stuck together.

Comment

Working...
                    X