X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unearthed court documents show Kirams' rights over Sabah

by Ira Pedrasa, ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 03/06/2013 10:52 PM | Updated as of 03/07/2013 1:22 AM

MANILA - Several court orders from the Jolo Regional Trial Court in 2011 have allowed the heirs of of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram II to administer Sabah, evidence which may help the Philippines' claim over the disputed land.

ABS-CBNnews.com obtained six of the orders of Branch 3 Presiding Judge Betlee-Ian J. Barraquias on June 17, 2011 for several petitioners to become administrators of the intestate estate of the heirs of Kiram.

For the intestate estate of Sultan Esmail Kiram, the letter of administration was given to his son Sultan Fuad Kiram.

For the intestate estate of Dayang-Dayang Hadji Piandao Kiram, the letter of administration was given to granddaughter Dayang-Dayang Putri Taj-Mahal Kiram Tarsum Nuqui.

For the intestate estate of Mora Napsa, the letter of administration was given to granddaughter Hja Sitti Ayesha Sampang.

For the intestate estate of Sitti Putli Jahara Kiram, the letter of administration was given to granddaughter Sitti Jenny K.A. Sampang.

For the intestate estate of Sitti Mariam Kiram, the letter of administration was given to grandniece Princess Permaisuli Kiram-Guerzon.

For the intestate estate of Sultan Punjungan Kiram, the letter of administration was given to granddaughter Dayang-Dayang Sheramar Kiram. The latter is the sister of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III and Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, whose followers landed in Sabah last February 12 to assert their claim against Malaysia.

Intestate estate

Legal experts said that the orders, in effect, allow the administrators to step into the shoes of the original sultan. The rights of the sultan over Sabah now means the rights of the administrators.

Intestate estate means there was no legally valid will prior to the death of the owner. Nonetheless, the court documents provid that “there being no opposition from any quarter, despite due notice, the same amply satisfies this court that [the petitioners]…[are] the most competent [persons] to administer the intestate estate of the deceased…”

The heirs of the original sultan, Kiram II, were those named in the 1939 Macaskie judgment. The high court of North Borneo (Sabah) gave credence to the cession of the rights and power of the Sultan in North Borneo to the Sultan of Sulu. This was after the latter helped quell a rebellion against the sultan of Brunei.

In a phone interview, Abraham Idjirani, spokesperson for the Sulu sultanate, said the administrators will stand as the sultanate’s witnesses once the Philippines asserts its proprietary claim over Sabah.

The court documents also show that the deceased heirs have been receiving rental money for Sabah, the payment of which remains unrecognized by the Philippine government, Idjirani said.

He explained that the letters of administration, which emerged as a consequence of the 1939 decision, will be used for “future cases” – including a filing of claim before the United Nations.

Political analysts earlier said the standoff, which has resulted in a bloodbath, can be resolved before a world forum. Some have chastised the reluctance of the Aquino administration to resolve the Sabah claim.

Tawi-Tawi governor Al Tillah was earlier quoted as saying: “The Sabah crisis is rooted historically in the just struggle of the sultanate through justice and the lofty ideals of the Muslim Filipinos. Any opinion to the contrary is null and void.”

Idjirani also noted that a lot of statements coming from the Aquino government are “unilateral declarations” which do not give due recognition to the sultanate of Sulu.

Comment

• Originally posted by rottentothecore View Post
      that'll be pretty scary..scenario would be lolo kadyo and the rest of south ph would be overrun by malaysians. but i doubt it.. in a protracted or even open war, the experience alone of the ph military will always outdo any leverage our neighbors might have imho. experience against reds, seccessionist, religious militants through out the ph history will go along way.. hehe i might have to borrow that FN FAL your sleeping with.
      I have to agree. They have better equipped airforce and navy but ph has better trained and well experienced soldiers. Friends from the dnd say we will be at par with the southern neighbors in 4 years in terms of equipment.

Sana nga para di tayo ini-ismall.

Comment

• Glimpses

Chop-chopping the historical truth

By Jose Ma. Montelibano
        Philippine Daily Inquirer
        10:48 pm | Thursday, March 7th, 2013
        17 911 829

A strange thing happened a few days ago. Nur Misuari came out in media blasting President Aquino, gave the President unsolicited advice, and then accused him of siding with Malaysia against Filipinos. I kept reading the news (thankfully, I missed the bizarre scene on TV) and wondered how history is so easily forgotten. And I am not talking only about Sabah.

From 1704 to 1962, Sabah was neither here nor there. From the Sultan of Brunei, Sabah was given to the Sultanate of Sulu. I am not a historian with a wealth of information, but the fact remains that there were no official historical details ever taught in school about Sabah as being part of the Philippines from 1704 to 1962. In fact, because of the drama that is occurring in Sabah now, most Filipinos are learning for the first time about Sabah and a claim that has been comatose for decades.

The dictator, Ferdinand Marcos, promised to renounce the Philippine claim over Sabah in 1977. Since then, there have been no significant news about that claim. Assuming that Filipinos 10 years and below in 1977 did not know of our Sabah claims, and could not care one way or the other, then Filipinos 46 years old and below remain unaware or uninformed. Among senior citizens like myself, Sabah was non-existent from our history subjects in Grade and High School. A vast majority of Filipinos, then, never knew, or never taught enough about, Sabah. How, then, does a Filipino find kinship with what he or she does not know and cannot care about?

But more Filipinos know about the war between the military and the MNLF led by Nur Misuari, and for millions of them, it remains an intimate experience. I speak of the people of Mindanao and their relatives and friends beyond Mindanao. The brutal war killed more than one hundred thousand (Wikipedia says 160,000), displaced millions, and for what?

Yes, the Jabidah massacre is largely credited as a main trigger for the 1970′s war in Mindanao. But it had Sabah undertones, as the Jabidah massacre was all about Sabah and the Marcos plan to create chaos there. Tausugs were trained secretly by the military without knowing what the reason was, until such time that it had to be revealed, or the trainees found out for themselves, that the target was Sabah, that the mission was to destabilize. The trainees balked. They knew that there were many Tausugs in Sabah and that these Tausugs did not seek war. If the general sentiment among Tausugs in Sabah at that time was for rebellion against Malaysia, the Tausug trainees would have only been too happy to provoke revolution. And only a few years back then, in the early 1960′s, residents of Sabah voted in a referendum to have Sabah as part of Malaysia and not as part of the Philippines.

Because of the Jabidah massacre as a key reason, Misuari went to war against the Philippine government. That war had significant messages. One side, the MNLF and Misuari side, said that they were not part of the Philippines. That was the screeching rhetoric of the MNLF and Misuari forces. That was why it was not a rebellion but a secession - because the MNLF and Misuari forces said they were not part of the Philippines – and that Mindanao was theirs. The other side, the Philippine government, said Mindanao belongs to Filipinos and the Philippines. The government told the MNLF and Misuari that it will not allow the dismemberment of the republic, and would defend the integrity of the Philippine territory against any armed attempt to dismember it.

The MNLF and Misuari accepted Malaysian support to fight the Philippine government and the Filipino people. Before the MNLF of Misuari, and all Muslims who gave their sympathy and support to them, could think of waging war against Malaysia over Sabah, they waged war against Filipinos and the Philippine government. It was in their psyche and sentiments to fight against the Philippines and accept sympathy and support from Malaysia, not the other way around. That is why Misuari sounds seriously out of tune when he accuses P-Noy of siding with Malaysia.

Misuari did relent to a peace accord, maybe less to Marcos and the Philippines but to the Arab nations who helped broker the cessation of hostilities. I believe one such nation was Malaysia. And I believe that Marcos, to get the peace, promised publicly to renounce the Philippine claim to Sabah. I was told that a document from the Foreign Affairs at that time to formalize what Marcos announced was executed but admited he did not have a copy of it. If there was none, then I would just credit it to another broken promise of Marcos. Bongbong Marcos must be more mindful of history before opening his mouth about P-Noy siding with the Malaysians when his father was the first to renounce the Sabah claim.

I have personal sympathy for the claim, largely because a friend and patriot, Pastor “Boy” Saycon, was the one responsible for relating to me the beautiful story of the Sultanate of Sulu that stood proud, independent and victorious while Filipinos in 7,000 islands were in subjugation to Spain, Great Britain, America and Japan effectively up to 1946. I never met Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, but leaned towards believing he is the rightful heir to the Sultanate – again because Boy Saycon, with more information than I, also believed so.

However, I have greater concern for the Filipino people as a whole. If the Sultanate of Sulu wants P-Noy to support the claim to Sabah, against whatever odds, then the Filipino people, in the majority, must be the ones to demand it. Those who are passionately for the recovery of Sabah must first sell the idea to the majority of the Filipino people. Before anything, Filipinos must decide what they know is theirs, what they feel is theirs, and what they will die for because it is theirs. The Sultanate, if it believes it speaks for the Filipino people, before going for Sabah, should go for the hearts and minds of the Filipino people.

Read more: http://opinion.inquirer.net/48289/chop- ... z2NIcDu5fF
        Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Comment

• I also heard prof na mangangamote daw mga kandidato ni pnoy sa south dahil sa pangyayaring ito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel Alpha View Post
            I have to agree. They have better equipped airforce and navy but ph has better trained and well experienced soldiers. Friends from the dnd say we will be at par with the southern neighbors in 4 years in terms of equipment.

Sana nga para di tayo ini-ismall.
            so its decided.. when and if it happens, i get to hold the FN FAL, you boss D Alpha gets to ride the warthog and tua the Danao .22 machine pistol and a bolo. manoy kadyo bores the invaders with math/physics to death !

Comment

• Putang inang sabah yan!!! eto na lang.

Comment

• Originally posted by rottentothecore View Post
                so its decided.. when and if it happens, i get to hold the FN FAL, you boss D Alpha gets to ride the warthog and tua the Danao .22 machine pistol and a bolo. manoy kadyo bores the invaders with math/physics to death !
                bro magaganda na raw ang made in Danao hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel Alpha View Post
                  I also heard prof na mangangamote daw mga kandidato ni pnoy sa south dahil sa pangyayaring ito.
                  Hindi naman kasalanan ni pnoy yung nangyari. Wala namang galit ke pnoy dito ngayon, di gaya nung galit nung mga tao nung panahon ni gloria. Personal na opinion ko yan sa mga nakaksalamuha ko.

Comment

• Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                    Putang inang sabah yan!!! eto na lang.

pwede yan gamitan ng sabah ko.. saging na sabah.

btw napanood mo yung kumakalat na decapitation vid sa fb? sana di totoo yun.

Comment

• Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                      Putang inang sabah yan!!! eto na lang.

prof ano ba yan... eh sabah din yan ah. eh di ba saging din na sabah ang katapat niyan?

Comment

Working...
                      X