Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is basketball the right sport for Filipinos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is basketball the right sport for Filipinos?

Yes or No? Please discuss

Originally posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post
    Yes or No? Please discuss
    Yes, i think so. But not "the" right sport, just "a" right sport. Because we have shown it in the past that we could be the best in Asia at least. The only reason why there is doubt about this and hence this thread, is that we changed the way we played and our attitude towards the game over the years. From team play to individualistic play; from international to NBA style. That's ok if we are as tall, big, and as athletic as the NBA players, but we are not. If only we could develop a right program for the right players with the right attitude towards the international brand of playing the game, then RP shall once again be on top of the Asia rankings in basketball.

"The" right sport for the filipinos, of course, will always be BOXING!

Comment

no. we better stick to boxing and billiards

Comment

Kun Olympic medal and goal natin, basketbal is not the sport. Boxing ang best bet natin or kung gawing Olympic sport ang billiards. Pero kung becoming a basketball powerhouse in Asia lng, kaya natin yun. Happy na ako dun.

Comment

as of this momment for a team sport, basketball is our best chance to achieve something even on an asian level...

imho all other team sports in the P.I. is lagging behind basketball and it too bad it will take decades maybe a century before any other team sport can get pass basketball ...

Comment

man hell yeah it is.

when i was in sunnyvale / sf / san jo some of the meanest games i was ever involved in were against the pinoys.

bunch of brown ****en chris pauls, dude!

do the damn thing, if PR's can compete on a high level internationally then obviously you guys can.

Comment

The right sport to what ____ ?

if you mean as a sports hobby, well then yes. We see basketball courts all over the country, from covered courts to makeshift ones that block our roads.

if you mean to excel, then I guess its proven that as of the moment, even if its already a religion to this country, we have not excelled the way we wanted too.

The culprit would always be at the grassroots level where we lack the talent development. Once youve grown to like over 6'5 in HS, youd automatically become a center, where further improvement of basic skills like dribbling and shooting is somewhat not developed. Still a lot of players can only shoot and dribble with one hand (usually with their right), thats why theyre so predictable. I dont remember anymore the coach from another team who pointed out that Pinoys have this "left-foot syndrome" which has been its vain over the years. It means that players only tend to jump using their left foot no matter what their position is, making their movement more predictable to their opponents.

It still a painful reality that we still lack the shooting prowess were suppose to have in international tournaments like FIBA, when in fact we have like a dozen pro tournaments being held everywhere. Our freethrow percentage recently just proves that.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Ace View Post
                The right sport to what ____ ?

if you mean as a sports hobby, well then yes. We see basketball courts all over the country, from covered courts to makeshift ones that block our roads.

if you mean to excel, then I guess its proven that as of the moment, even if its already a religion to this country, we have not excelled the way we wanted too.

The culprit would always be at the grassroots level where we lack the talent development. Once youve grown to like over 6'5 in HS, youd automatically become a center, where further improvement of basic skills like dribbling and shooting is somewhat not developed. Still a lot of players can only shoot and dribble with one hand (usually with their right), thats why theyre so predictable. I dont remember anymore the coach from another team who pointed out that Pinoys have this "left-foot syndrome" which has been its vain over the years. It means that players only tend to jump using their left foot no matter what their position is, making their movement more predictable to their opponents.

It still a painful reality that we still lack the shooting prowess were suppose to have in international tournaments like FIBA, when in fact we have like a dozen pro tournaments being held everywhere. Our freethrow percentage recently just proves that.
                there you go..

Comment

Boxing billiards chess bowling

Comment

the basketball has been planted in our brains and culuture so its hard to remove it. its like religion.

Comment

Working...
                    X